A machine is a simple object which makes our work easier to do. Many objects in the school and at home such as a pair of scissors, bottle opener and cutlass, are examples of simple machines. In science, anything that makes us to use less energy to do much work or overcome a large force is called a machine.
Table of Contents
Examples of simplest machines are the levers and pulleys.
MEANING OF LEVER
A lever is a simple machine that has the point of motion where effort can be made to carry a load.
EXAMPLES OF LEVER
- Nut cracker
- Hockey stick
- Wheel barrow
- Door handle
- Hole puncher
PARTS OF LEVER
The three most important parts of a lever are:
- Fulcrum or Pivot.
USES OF LEVER
- Seesaw is used to have fun with a friend;
- Scissor is used for cutting;
- Crowbar used for split something apart or take out nails;
- Hockey stick used to play hockey;
- Wheel barrow is used move dirt or anything else;
- Door handle is used to get through a door;
- Dolly it is used to move heavy boxes and freight;
- Hole puncher it is you for making hole on belt; etc.
Strategies & Activities
Step: Teacher revises the previous topic
Step 2: Teacher introduces the new topic.
Step3: Teacher endeavors to explain all the points to the pupils thoroughly.
Step 4: Teacher welcomes pupils’ questions.
Step 5: Teacher evaluates the pupils.
. Name five common levers and machines in their homes;
- Locate the pivot (fulcrum) load and effort arms in common lever machines;
- State five common uses of levers.