SYMPTOMS, TRANSMISSION, EFFECTS, PREVENTIVE AND CURATIVE CONTROL OF ANIMAL VIRAL DISEASES
- Foot and mouth disease
- Rinderpest diseases
- Newcastle disease
- Fowl pox
- Gumburo disease
|VIRAL DISEASE||ANIMAL AFFECTED||MODE OF TRANSMISSION||SYMPTOMS||CONTROL/PREVENTION|
|FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE|
|Cattle, Sheep and Goat||contact, air-borne, droplets of saliva, infected materials like urine, faeces.||Formation of blisters (skin vesicle filled with serum, watery animal fluid) on the skin, between and around the hooves, inflammation of teats and udder, salivation, loss of weight.||Isolation of infected animals, burning or burying contaminated materials, timely vaccination.|
|Cattle, Sheep and Goat||By contact, contaminated feed and water||High fever, weakness, difficult breathing, blood stained diarrhoea, high mortality, loss of appetite.||Timely vaccination, isolation of infected animals, restriction of infected animal movement within the farm.|
|Domestic fowl, Turkey, Goose, Ducks and Guinea fowl||Through contaminated feed, water and litter||Sneezing, nasal discharge and difficult breathing. Lack of appetite and diarrhea, Paralysis, somersaulting, twisting of neck, cycling movement||Vaccination, good sanitation, disinfection of poultry building.|
|FOWL POX||Fowl||Through contaminated feeds, water and litter materials||Sores on the combs and wattles||Isolate the infected birds, practice good sanitation measures, apply iodine on the affected parts, adopt routine vaccination|
|Birds||Through faecal, contaminated feeds, water and litter.||Swelling of liver, spleen and kidney. The birds appear dull and sleepy.||Isolate infected birds to maintain good sanitation measure, adopt routine vaccination.|
- a. Name the causative agent of Newcastle disease
- What are the symptoms?
- How can it be controlled?
- Name 5 viral diseases.
- State the symptoms of fowl pox.
- State the mode of transmission of fowl pox
- List two animals that are affected by rinderpest
Essential Agricultural Science for senior secondary schools by O. A. Iwena, page 383 – 386
- The best control measure for rinderpest disease in cattle is a. sanitation b. isolation
- eradication of infected stock d. vaccination
- The part of the body affected by newcastle disease of poultry are the a. nervous system and respiratory tract b. digestive and circulatory system c. reproductive and excretory tracts d. air sac and the comb
- The general symptoms of malnutrition in animals include the following except
- retarded growth b. increase in body size c. low production d. susceptibility to disease.
- Newcastle disease affects the following animals except a. goat b. chicken c. turkey
- Which of the following is not a viral disease? a. Anthrax b. Fowl pox c. Gumburo
Consider the following viral diseases
- Foot and mouth
- Name three animals that can be affected by each of the disease listed above.
- State two major symptoms each of them