DRUGS ABUSE – EFFECTS ON THE HUMAN HEALTH
- Drug abuse can be defined as misuse of drugs.
- Drugs are chemical compounds that affect the working of body or kill disease causing microorganisms.
- There are drugs prescribed by a doctor.
- Prescribed drugs can be abused through taking overdose which may cause death. Over the counter drugs(OCD)
- Are self-prescribed drugs.
- These have harmful effects and may lead to tolerance such that higher doses are needed.
Below is a list of effects of hard drugs on human health
- Lung cancer caused by nicotine.
- Liver cirrhosis -caused by alcohol.
- Interferes with vision – alcohol.
- Sterility – khat (rniraa).
- Sleeplessness – insomnia – khat (miraa).
- Hallucinations – Canabis sativa (Bang i).
- Digestive system is upset, nausea.
- Diarrhoea and vomiting.
- Headache and double vision.
- Skin tone changes – e.g. too dark.
- Appetite is extreme – very poor or very great.
- Weight loss.
- Personality changes e.g. irritable and confused.
- Convulsions, lethargy and depressions due to inhalation of solvents e.g. glue.