Poverty is often used in conjunction with material possessions that belongs to people. it is defined as a lack of a material possession belonging to a person. According to the world bank, poverty is defined to a situation where ones income is below two dollars per day.
Table of Contents
EFFECT OF POVERTY
Poverty can lead a person to experience the following:
- Poor health care
- Low life expectancy
- Domestic violence
- Large family size
METHODS OF POVERTY ALLEVIATION
- Applying appropriate combinations of mineral fertilizers using green manures to increase soil facilities planting fertilizer trees, returning crop residuals to the soil, using improved measures of soil erosion control and water conservation and using nitrogen fixing seeds can improve soil health which can improve farming productivities whereby providing employment opportunity so as to reduce poverty.
- Improve water, sanitation, feeder and main roads, maternity energy sources such as kerosene for cooking, rural electrification and women empowerment by allowing them to spend less time doing basic shores such as fetching fire woods and water. Improved gender equality does a whole lot of things such as increasing women’s chances to get job which will lead to more gender equalities.
- Nutritious school meals, farming improvement, clean water sanitation, hygiene education and nutrition education can all lead to improved nutrition. Improved nutrition will lead to improved health in general.
AGENCIES FOR POVERTY ALLEVIATION
- NATIONAL POVERTY ERADICTAION PROGRAMME (NAPEP): The programme started in 2001 to reduce poverty in Nigeria. It was design to replace poverty alleviation programme. NAPEP’s goals include training youths in vocational traits to support internship, to support micro credits, create employment in the automobile industry.
- DIRECTOTATE OF FOOD, ROADS AND RURAL INFRASTRUCTURAL (DFRRI),
- BETTER LIFE PROGRAMME
- NATIONAL DIRECTORATE OF EMPLOYMENT
- FAMILY SUPPORT PROGRAMME (FSP)
- POVERTY ERADICATION PROGRAMME(PEP)
- COMMUNITY BANK
HIV/AIDS AND THE NIGERIA ECONOMY
HIV/AIDS have become a major treat to the economy. The disease is more common with the youth which should form the greater percentage working population. Under this situation, the economy will suffer as it will lead to low productivity and slow down the growth and development of the nation.
CORRUPTION AND THE ECONOMY
Corruption is the usage of acquired power in a dishonest or in illegal way to acquire wealth that belong to a person, state or government. In Nigeria, corruption has eaten deep into the fabric of society. Money meant for the development is normally carried away by few individuals in power. This practice do
POWER AND ENERGY INADEQUANCY
The power and energy supply with particular reference to electricity is a big problem to the economy growth of a nation. Power supply to the economy for productivity is inadequate to ensure rapid economy development.
- Define poverty
- Discuss five causes of poverty.
- 2008 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2009 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2010 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2011 SSCE QUESTION OBJEECTIVE AND THEORY
- 2012 SSCE QUESTION OBJECTIVE AND THEORY