The Nigeria Airport Authority is a statutory body or public co – operation charged with the responsibility of managing, maintaining, running, administrating and controlling all airports e.g. Murtala Muhammed Airport Ikeja, Aminu Kano Airport Kano etc. are international airports in Nigeria while Calabar airport are examples of local airports.
FUNCTIONS OF THE N.A.A
- Control of airway: it controls domestic and international airline.
- Maintenance of all facilities: it provides repairs are maintenance facilities to damaged aircrafts.
- Provision of warehouse: the authority provides warehouse for storage of goods and luggage before loading and off-loading.
- Housing of security agents: it provides office accommodation for customs, immigration, police and other agents work at the airport.
- Revenue collection: the airport authority takes ‘charges of collecting airport taxes from airlines shop operators in the airport etc.
- Ensure passenger security: the airport ensures passenger safety by providing security.
- Administration: it sees to the general administration management and control of the airport.
- The authority makes sure that airport in the country have goods road network for vehicles coming to them.
FUNCTION OF AIRPORTS
- They serve as refuelling points for long distance aircraft.
- They offer landing facilities for domestic and internal aircrafts.
- They promote commerce and trade within and among countries.
- They offer employment opportunities to specialize an unskilled sector of the aviation industry.
- They serve as entry points for goods and passenger.
They serve as bases for defence to check activities in the airspace of countries.