Incoming mail contains new orders, enquiries, cheques, reports, complaints and any other letter from other business organisation received either by hard or by past.
The procedures are:
- Receive mail from post office box or from their personnel
- Check mail one after the other
- Sort the mail into private, official and confidential
- Send mails to officer concerned
- Open non-confidential mail by clerk
- Remove the contents for cheques, receipt, bill etc
- Record mail in inward book
- Place file and sent them to officer concerned
Procedures for handling outgoing mail are:
- Collecting mail ready to be sent
- Preparing the mail for posting from mail room
- Folding mails
- Insertion of letter/mail into envelope
- Weighing of mail on scale
- Stamping of mails
- Despatching mails
FILING: is the act of putting or arranging documents in a row. It involves the collection, arrangement, safe keeping of information and the retrieval of such information for decision making.
Documents are filled for these reasons:
- To keep letters in safe custody
- To keep document clean
- To keep the office tiding
- To be able to retrieve document for easy accessibility without delay
MAIL ROOM EQUIPMENT
- Mail room equipment is used for processing large volumes of mail. It can mail receiving equipment which includes letter openers, security mail, scanners, envelope sealers, folder/inserters, labels
- Mail sending equipment allows to automate outgoing mail processing e.g. labelling machine, stickers, tabbers, sales flying, envelope sealers. Envelope sealers are used for high volume making.
- Name two major methods of filing?
- List and explain four filing equipment.