A woodwork bench is a platform on which the wood workers perform their wood workers activities. The size of the woodwork bench is usually 2.0m by 0.80m by 0.90m. The centre of the woodwork bench is always lower than the edges and this is called WELL.
Table of Contents
The function of the well is for keeping the tools needed during the woodwork activities. Being lower, tools cannot fall or roll onto the floor or on anyone’s feet
WOODWORK BENCH FITTINGS
Woodwork bench fittings are the appliances fitted to the workbench before the commencement of any woodwork operation.
- Define a workbench
- Describe and state the function of a well on workbench
- Define woodwork bench fittings
- BENCH STOP
- BENCH HOOK
- SASH CLAMP
The bench vice is made up of cast iron and possesses a release lever, which allows quick movement and grip. The vice is fixed to the side of the bench.It is used to hold the wood firmly to side of the workbench.
This is a small strip of wood or metal fixed on top of the bench.It is used prevent wood from slipping off the bench top during planning.
This is used for holding jobs during cutting chiseling on the bench.
At the same it protects the bench top
This is a metal clamp used for clamping small jobs to the bench while sawing or chiseling. It can also be used to hold other small jobs together. It is called a G-clamp because of its shape, which is in the form of letter “G
The clamp is ideal for holding small pieces of wood together by applying pressure at a specific point. Scrap wood should be placed between the jaws and the work to prevent it from leaving marks in the work.
This is a larger clamp used for holding and drawing wood together when assembling or gluing work light and heavy-duties types are also available. When using sash –clamp, a piece of waste wood should also be placed between the jaw will dig in and spoil the work.
This is used like the G-clamp. It has a quick action adjustment.The clamp in the form of letter “F”
- State FIVE (5) examples of woodwork bench fittings
- Describe and state the function of the followings (a) Bench (b) G –clamp
- What precaution must we take when using sash clamp in the workshop.
- What is the major difference between F-clamp and sash clamp.
- A woodwork bench is a platform for doing ____ (a) wood works (b) all works in the workshop (c) metal work (d) electrical work
- The size of the woodwork bench is 2.0m by 0.80mand _____ (a) 9.0 m (b) 0.09m (c) 0.90m (d) 900m
- The prevent wood from slipping off the bench top during, smoothing , the device used is _____ (a) bench hook (b) bench stop (c)bench vice (d) bench fitting.
- _____ is the shortest distance between two points (a) box (b) square (c) straight (d) curve .
- In isometric drawing, the base lines are inclined at ___ to the horizontal (a) 200 (b) 800 (c) 450 (d) 300
- State the importance of using freehand sketching.
- Mention five(5) woodwork bench fittings.