The poem is a metaphorical depiction of a nation as destroyer of the dreams and aspirations of her citizen. The nameless nation referred to as ‘the Land’,is likened to different predatory animals. It is likened to ‘a giant whale’, which swallow other water creatures alive to satisfy its own hunger and sometimes greed and leaving in its wake frustration and sadness. The land is also likened to ‘a Sabretoothed tiger’ whose cries send other creature of wild, especially the vulnerable and weaker ones, into a run for their dear lives. Having used animals of water and land for his imagery as stated in the poem ,the poet uses that of space in third stanza. The land is likened to ‘a giant hawk’, a dangerous predatory bird that attacks other birds, both flying and non- flying ones, and even other animals like rodents and reptites. The poet see the land as an agent of frustration to her peoples hope at every turn.
The following are the poetic devices used in the poem.
- Personification-Stanza one,stanza two,stanza three and stanza four.
- Metaphor – line 1,line 8, line 14.
- Allusion – stanza one.
- Metonymy –stanza one to three.
- Run-on –lines –all lines in the run into each other.
- Symbols: many symbolic expression are used in the poem. The images are giant whale,giant hawk etc.
- Alliteration : -lines 2,7 and 16
- The spectre of social unrest in the country
- The irresponsibility of the ruling class
- The feeble resistance of the masses
- The suppression of voices of dissent
- The hope of a bright future
Identify and explain the poetic devices used in the poem ‘Ambush’
- Discuss five themes in this poem
- Discuss the used of alliteration in the poem
- Comment on the poet style.