ANIMAL PROTOZOAN DISEASES
- Red water fever (Piroplasmosis)
|PROTOZOAN DISEASE||ANIMAL AFFECTED||MODE OF TRANSMISSION||SYMPTOMS||CONTROL/PREVENTION|
|Cattle, Sheep and Goat||Spread by the blood sucking Tse-tse fly which sucks blood from an infected animal and transmit the pathogen to healthy animal.||Rise in body temperature, dullness in appearance, constant sleeping.||Clearing of bush around farm in order to remove the fly’s habitat, spraying with insecticides to kill vector, treatment with drugs such as trypanosomide and antimosan.|
|COCCIDIOSIS Eimera sp||Domestic fowl, duck, goose, turkey, guinea fowl and rabbit||It is spread through faeces, litter, feed, water and contaminated soils.||Dropping wings, loss of appetite, blood stained diarrhoea, emaciation, high mortality, loss of hair/ acopecia (in rabbit)||Proper sanitation, avoid wet litters and feed, change of litter used and general disinfection, use suitable drugs such as amprolium and nitrofurazone in water, treat with coccidiostats.|
|RED WATER FEVER (PIROPLASMOSIS) Babesia sp||Cattle, Sheep, Goat and Pig||It is transmitted through the bite of vector called Blue tick.||Rise in body temperature, loss of appetite, diarrhoea, pale red colour of urine, emaciation and death.||Spray with insecticides to kill vector of disease (blue tick), injection of drugs such as Trypan Blue, Babesan or Phenamidine.|
- State 4 bacterial diseases affecting livestock.
- State 2 symptoms of Tuberculosis.
- Name 4 animals affected by tuberculosis.
- What are the symptoms of fowl typhoid.
- List 3 fungal diseases of animals.
- Name 3 animals affected by ringworm.
- State three diseases caused by protozoa.
- What the vector of Piroplasmosis?
- Outline three symptoms of Coccidiosis.
Essential Agric Science by O. Iwena page 386 -390
- Which of the following livestock diseases is transmitted by tick? (a) Coccidiosis
(b) aspergillosis (c) brucellosis (d) red water fever
- Which of the following diseases is not caused by protozoa (a) trypanosomiasis
(b) Coccidiosis (c) red water fever (d) aspergillosis
- When a cattle is observed to be sleeping constantly among the flock, it’s most likely suffering from (a) trypanosomiasis (b) coccidiosis (c) red water fever (d) aspergillosis
- The disease that causes abortion in cattle at the later stage of pregnancy is (a) milk fever (b) pneumonia (c) brucellosis (d) foot and mouth
- Trypanosomiasis can affect the following animals except (a) fowl (b) cattle (c) sheep (d) goat
1a. State three diseases caused by protozoa.
- Name the animals affected in each case.
- Explain Red water fever disease under the following headings – causal organisms, animals affected, mode of transmission, symptoms, control.