This is the most common type of computer today. It measures physical quantities by counting. Examples are calculator, digital wrist watches, digital fuel dispenser etc.
Table of Contents
This type of computer is used to measure and process continuous data such as speed, temperature, heartbeat etc. Examples are speedometer, thermometer etc.
This type of computer combines the features of digital and analogue computers together. It is a combinations of digital and analogue computers.
- List the classification of computers according to type
- Explain the difference between the classifications of computer according to type.
CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BY FUNCTIONALITY
Classification of computer according to purpose can be grouped into two (2), namely:
- General purpose computers
- Special purpose computers
SPECIAL PURPOSE COMPUTERS
These are computers designed solely to solve a restricted class of problem e.g computer for medical diagnosis, weapon guidance, traffic control, weather study and forecast etc.
GENERAL PURPOSE COMPUTERS
These are computers designed solely to solve a vast variety of problems e.g it can be used for Word processing and at the same time used for graphics, database, spreadsheet etc.
- What is the difference between general purpose computers and special purpose computers?
- Explain the following: digital, analogue and hybrid computers.
- Give any two examples of general purpose computer.
- Mention classification of computer by purpose.
- How many classifications of computers do we have? 2 B. 4 C. 7 D. 3
- The generation of computerthat uses AI is third B. second C. fifth D. first
- ……..is the smallest and the most popular class of computers. Micro B. Mini C. Super D. Mainframe.
- What type of computercombines both features of digital and Analogue computers? micro B. hybrid C. digital D. super
- Computers designed solely to solve a restricted class of problem is called general purpose B. special purpose C. digital D. analogue
- List the classifications of computers according to type.
- Explain the difference between the classifications of computers according to type.