Database is an application that is used to store information in a structured way. It is a collection of records or data in an organized form.
Table of Contents
A database management system is a collection of computer software that enables users to define, create and maintain a database. A database management system (DBMS) is a computer application that interacts with the user, other applications and the database itself to capture and analyse data.
The general purpose of database management system (DBMS) is designed to allow the definition, creation, querying and administration of database. The DBMS serves as an interface between the database and end users or application programs, ensuring that data is consistently organized and remain easily accessible. Database Administrators are those that control the database system. They also control the access and security aspects of the database.
FUNCTIONS OF DBMS
A DBMS makes it possible for users to create, edit and update data in database files. The functions also include
- Concurrent access to the same database at the same time.
- It creates security rules to determine access right of users.
- It improves the integrity of the data in the database.
- It also provides data dictionary for description of data.
- What do you understand by database management?
- Who is a database administrator?
EXAMPLES OF DATABASE MANAGEMENT PACKAGES
There are varieties of database management system. Some of these are:
- Microsoft Access: it is a DBMS developed by Microsoft. It stores data in its own format based on the access jet engine. It has the facilities like importing or linking directly to data stored in other databases.
- MySQL: it is an open-source DBMS. One of the most popular DBMS.
- Oracle: it is an object relational database management system.
- Microsoft SQL server: it was developed by Microsoft. The primary function of this software is to store and retrieve the data as requested by other applications, whether those applications are on the computer or running on other computer across the network.
- Filmmaker: it was begun as a MS–DOS based computer program. It is a cross platform relational database management system.
- Rows: are the records.
- Column: is vertical and labeled alphabetically.
- Field: is a group of related characters in a file
- Character: is a single symbol in a file.
- Record: is made of a number of fields that are related together and treated as an entity.
- List other types of database applications apart from Ms. Access.
- List three database terminologies and explain them.
- What is a record in database?
- Mention two database packages and briefly on them.
- The person that controls the entire database system is called ___ A. database manager. B. database analyst C. computer Analyst D. database administrator.
- A collection of computer software that enables users to define, create and maintain a database is refers to as ___ A. database program B. database management
- computer software D. database pro
- One of these DBMS began with MS- Dos. A. MS-Access B. MySQL C. Corel
- The general purpose database management system (DBMS) is designed to allow all except one. definition B. creation, C. querying D. multiplying
- Concurrent in database management means…. A. to access by many people at once
- One person at a time C. both A and B D. none
- List and explain three examples of DBMS.
- List three functions of DBMS.
- Compare Row and Record.