Metals are elements that readily form positive ions and have metallic bonds. Examples are copper, iron, copper, etc.
Table of Contents
Properties of Metals
- They are good conductors of heat and electricity
- They are lustrous i.e. shiny and can be polished.
- They are malleable, that is, they are capable of being beaten into thin sheets.
- They are ductile, that is, they can be drawn into thin wire.
- They are generally strong and hard with high tensile strength
- They are sonorous, that is, they produce sound when struck.
- They have high densities.
- They have high melting and boiling points
These are elements that do not have the properties of metals. Examples are sulphur, nitrogen, oxygen, chlorine. Etc.
Properties of Non-metals
- They are poor conductors of heat and electricity
- They are not lustrous
- They are not malleable
- They are not ductile
- They are not sonorous
- They have low melting and boiling point
- They have low densities
Differences between metals and non-metals
|They are hard||They are generally soft except diamond|
|They are malleable||They are not malleable|
|They are lustrous||They are not lustrous|
|They are ductile||They are not ductile|
|They have high density||They have low density|
|They are good conductors of heat and electricity||They are poor conductors of heat and electricity|
|They have high melting point||They have low melting point|
|They can rust||They do not rust|
Uses of Metals
- They are used for building houses, bridges and water tanks
- They are used for manufacturing vehicles and aeroplanes
- They are used for making looking utensils such as pot, kettle, etc.
- In making cutleries like spoons, knives, forks
- For making trophies and jewelries
- They are used in automobile and building constructions
Uses of Non-metals
- Wood or rubber can be used for making tool handles
- They are used as insulators for most electrical appliances
- Wood can be used making furniture
- Wood is used in construction of boats and canoes
- Used in roofing buildings
- Plastics can be used in making containers