Sanitation is the process of keeping places free from dirt which causes infections, diseases and germs. This is done by removing waste products (both solid and liquid) away from the environment. It is also the process of maintaining cleanliness.
This refers to the way of keeping germs from our bodies in order to maintain a healthy state. Germs are organisms that are capable of causing diseases to our body.
This is the practice of taking care of our body in order to lead a healthy life. The science and practice of maintaining good health through cleanliness is called hygiene.
Ways of Keeping our Body Clean
- Clean your teeth at least twice daily.
- Always wash your body daily by bathing.
- Wash your hair always and comb it to make it look neat.
- Always wash and keep your clothes neat.
- Cut and keep your finger nails clean.
- Wash and clean your ears regularly.
- Clean your nose with clean handkerchief always.
- Wash your hand before and after meal and also after using the toilet
Advantages of Personal Hygiene
- Good health
- Emotional stability
- High self-esteem
- Social acceptability
Disadvantages of Poor/Lack of Personal Hygiene
- It makes people prone to germs or infections
- Body odour and skin diseases.
- It can lead to mouth odour, tooth decay, tooth ache etc.
- Dirty hair can lead to the presence of lice, in the hair.
- Germs may be swallowed if the hands are dirty.
- Weaving of dirty clothes make one look untidy.
Levels of Personal Hygiene
The two levels if personal hygiene is:
- Low level of personal hygiene: This occurs when someone wears clean clothes but dirty underwear, with dirty armpits, overgrown hair, dirty teeth and nails.
- High/Optimal level of personal hygiene: This occurs when someone takes proper care of both his outward appearance and the underwear.
Factors That Leads To Low Level Personal Hygiene
- Lack of time
- Nonchalant attitude
- What is sanitation?
- Define cleanliness
- Mention the two levels of personal hygiene
- List four advantages of personal hygiene
- The following factors leads to low personal hygiene except (a) Ignorance (b) Nonchalant attitude (c) Sleeplessness (d) Tradition
- The science of preserving and improving health is called (a) hygiene (b) cleanliness (c) environmental sanitation (d) none of the above
- Which of the following is odd? (a) bath regularly (b) keep your environment clean (c) you can litter the environment with only paper waste (d) keep your finger nails clean
- A student who practices good personal hygiene will enjoy the following except (a) vulnerability to diseases (b) happiness (c) emotional stability (d) good health
- ____ is the process of keeping places free from dirt which causes infections, diseases and germs (a) hygiene (b) cleanliness (c) environmental sanitation (d) none of the above
- What is personal hygiene?
- What is environmental sanitation?
- State three disadvantages of poor personal hygiene
- Mention five ways of keeping our body clean.
CLASSIFICATION OF NON-LIVING THINGS INTO METALS AND NON-METALS METALS
CHARACTERISTICS OF LIVING THINGS