Kitchen can be described as the laboratory in the room were family meals are prepared. Kitchen equipment is the material used in the kitchen in carrying out food preparation effectively. Small and large items are needed to perform various kitchen tasks. They can be grouped under the following headings according to their functions in the kitchen; these include
Table of Contents
- Large equipment
- Mechanical equipment
- Tools and utensils or small equipment
- Measuring tools
They are fitted permanently in the kitchen once they are installed. They are usually not removed frequently
- Dish washer
- Working surfaces and shelves
- Grill and salamanders
- Food mixers
- Food slicers and choppers
Tools and utensils
They are those materials that are often move about in the kitchen almost on a daily basis.
- Cooking pots and pans
- Kitchen cutlery
- Tim wares
- Wooden articles such as wooden spoons, mortals and pestles, chopping board, rolling pin e.t.c.
- Earthen wares
- Plastic wares
Measuring tools (tools for weighing)
- Scales (balance scales and spring scales)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
USES AND CARE OF COOKERS
- Cookers are used for cooking food
- Some gas cookers are used for baking
- Some are also used for grilling
The cooker should be cleaned each time it is used. The wire gauze should be removed and washed with warm soapy water and rinsed properly. The enamel part should be washed with warm soapy water using a duster so as not to scratch the surface.
USES OF SINKS
- Dirty plates ad cutlery are stored in the sink pending the times they will be washed
- Cooking utensils are washed in the sink
- Fruits and vegetables as well as meat and fish can also be washed there.
The sink should be washed with hot soapy water and thoroughly rinsed after each use, if necessary, it should be scoured with cleaning agent e.g vim. Solid or left over food like rice, beans, yam e.t.c. should not be poured into the sink as this particles may clog the drain pipes. Use sink basket to prevent blockages of the sink outlet. Disinfect the outlet occasionally.
USES OF REFRIGERATOR
- They are used for preserving raw food
- They are used for preserving cooked food items and other materials that are easily perishable
- Hot food should not be arranged inside the refrigerator
- Do not open the door for too long. If does, warm air will enter. Thus, giving in additional work.
- Never remove material from the freezer component with sharp object.
- Always remember to defrost the refrigerator when too much ice-crystals accumulate in the freezer compartment.
USES OF FOOD MIXERS
- They are used for mixing pastry for cakes
- They are used for mashing potatoes
- They are used for beating white eggs, mayonnaise, chopping vegetables and meat.
- All the compartment as well as the main machine should be thoroughly washed
- Care should be taking to ensure that no rust occurs on any part
USES OF KITCHEN TOOLS AND UTENSILS (CUTLERY)
- Spoons are used for eating as well as fork.
- Kitchen scissors are used for cutting as well as knife
- Potatoes peeler is used for peeling potatoes
- Wash immediately after use in hot soapy water
- Do not soak, remove stains with steel wools
- Keep knife on rack
- Hang spoons or fish slicer on hanger to drip dry.
USES OF WOODEN ARTICLES
- Rolling pins are used for rolling out pastry
- Wooden spoons are used for stirring food to prevent burning
Scrub along the grain of the wood using a brush or scourers. Rinse well and air dry.
MEASURING SCALE AND THEIR USES
- SCALES; these are used to weigh dry or solid ingredients. There are two types of scales.
- Balance scale (with weight); the correct weight is obtained when the food on the scale’s pan balanced the weight on the other weight, so that the both sides are levelled. This is more accurate.
- Spring scales; the correct weight when an indicator needle is pointing to the required weight on the dial. It is important that the indicator needle points to zero before one begins to weigh.
- MEASURING CUPS; these are for measuring liquid or dry ingredients. To obtain a correct measurement of liquid, a cup must be placed on a large surface and the reading taking on a flat level. To maintain a measurement of dry ingredient, one must levelled up the ingredient before a reading is taking.
- MEASURING SPOONS; These are used for measuring liquids and dry ingredients
- Differentiate between large and small kitchen equipment with examples
- State the uses of the equipment mentioned above
- highlight methods of cleaning the kitchen equipment mentioned above
- List five factors that should be considered when purchasing a refrigerator
- Outline the procedures to follow in the proper care of the refrigerator