MEANING OF MAKE-UP
Make-up refers to cosmetics such as lipstick or powder applied to face which are used to enhance or alter the appearance. Make – up refers to the artificial substances like paint and powder applied on the face and body of the character to enhance or change his or her outward appearance. Make – up can either beautify or alter the player’s outward appearance to look like another person expected to be impersonated and imitated.
Table of Contents
TYPES OF MAKE-UP
There are two types of make – up namely;
- Straight or foundation make – up: This type of make – up reveals the normal facial appearance of the character through painting for distinctiveness and visibility.The make-up artist applies cosmetic materials like paint on the face of the character for beautification purpose.
- Character or stage make – up: This type of make – up changes the facial appearance of the character in order to look like the targeted character intended to be imitated and impersonated. Artificial make-up kits like wig,moustache,false nose, eye brow,eye lashes etc.are fixed on the character’s face to change his or her normal facial appearance. A young actress in her early thirties can be made to look like an old woman in the late nineties through stage or character make – up.
- (a) What is make-up? (b) Define making – up.
- List the types of make-up.
USES OF MAKE-UP
- It enhances one’s facial outlook.
- It alters one’s facial appearance.
- It depicts special characters like ghost.
- It shows or portrays the role being played by the actor and actress.
ITEMS OF MAKE-UP
- Eye brow
- Pan cake
- Powder etc.
- State two functions of make- up.
- Mention two make-up items.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISON QUESTION
- List five media that can be used for mosaic.
- List functions of mosaic work.
- Differentiate between stave and clef.
- Construct grand stave.
- What is grand stave?
- ____ refers to the paint and powder applied on the face of the character to enhance and change his or her appearance. (a) Make –up (b) Costume (c) Grease (d) None of the above.
- The facial and body make-up of the character are the sole duty of the ____(a) costumier (b) make-up artist (c) prompter (d) set designer
- What type of make-up reveals the normal facial appearance of the character? (a) Stage make-up (b) Straight make-up (c) Character make-up (d) None of the above.
- What type of make-up changes the facial appearance of the character to look like another person? (a) Foundation make-up (b) Straight make-up (c) character make-up (d) None of the above.
- Which one of these is NOT a make-up item in drama? (a) Mascara (b) Pancake (c) Jewelries (d) Lip stick
- State two functions of make-up.
- List three items of make -up.