Meaning of chemicals – Chemicals are distinct compounds or substances which are prepared or purified artificially using different chemical reactions. E.g., baking soda, flavours of juice, medicine, food etc.
GRADES OF CHEMICALS
- Reagent A.C.S. – these are used in a laboratory.
- R. – is used for chemical research.
- C.C. – is used in the requirements of food.
- C.P. – is used in general applications.
- Technical grade –used in general industrial use.
- APEs – are found in detergents, disinfectants, cleaners and laundry cleaners.
Need for monitoring and control of chemicals. The manufacture and use of chemicals are potentially harmful to human beings and livestock.
There are laws to control and protect human beings and the environment from chemical effluents and wastes. Waste according to the law refers to different categories which include industrial, solid, liquid, and gaseous wastes containing substances which are jarful to human, animal and plant life.
Waste can also mean any injurious, poisonous, or toxic. Any person found in the quality of purchasing, selling, importing, transporting, depositing or storing harmful waste can be convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment in Nigeria.
- What are chemicals?
- Name five areas in your life where chemicals are used.
- Why are some chemicals harmful?
CONSUMER AMD SOCIETY