A sewing machine is a large sewing equipment designed to make stitches.
Table of Contents
- It makes sewing quicker and more efficient.
- It is a simple machine to operate as it is done manually at the speed of the person operating.
- It is portable and easy to carry.
- Balance wheel is rotated by hand.
- One hand rotates the hand wheel while the other guides the material.
The following shows the working of a hand machine: Treadle Machine
- Feet rotate the hand wheel
- Both hands are free to guide the work
- Bulky and hence takes up a lot of storage space
- A motor can be fixed onto it to make it electric
- Treadle Machine
The following shows the working of a treadle machine:
- Balance wheel is rotated using electricity.
- Very fast because both hands are free to guide the work.
- Expensive to purchase.
- Some are portable and others are very bulky.
The following shows the working of an electric machine:
- Parts of a Sewing Machine
- Choosing a sewing machine
- Consider the cost in relation to the work.
- Consider the machine in relation to its work, that is, do not buy a domestic machine for commercial purposes.
- Buy from a reliable dealer who will be able to service and supply spare parts.
- Machine should have an instruction manual.
Care of the sewing machine
- Ensure servicing of machines regularly.
- Store the machine while covered to avoid dust from entering.
- Clean and oil it regularly.
- Learners should use the machine under supervision.
- Do not machine over pins to avoid breaking the needle.