The passage is about the Jews who looked at Abraham as their father. He made a covenant with God. The Jews were once enslaved by the Egyptians. The Jews moved to their country (Canaan) and later began to travel to other countries where they settled and became successful. Their main belief is that there is only one God.
Table of Contents
Answer the questions below the passage. Page 61
STRUCTURE: ADJECTIVE AND ADJECTIVAL PHRASE
Definition of Adjective
Adjective: It is a word which qualifies/modifies the noun or pronoun. Adjectives can be identified by certain suffixes like:
It is a phrase that does the work of an adjective in a sentence i.e. It qualifies or describes a noun or pronoun.
The man with the red hair is my brother. (Prepositional Phrase / an adjective phrase qualifying man)
The beautiful girl has been kidnapped (Adjective qualifying the noun “girl”)
A person bringing goods news is always welcome (Participial phrase as adjective phrase qualifying “man”)
He is a man of great wealth. (prepositional phrase as an adjective phrase qualifying man)
The woman standing over there is our new principal . (participial phrase as adjective phrase qualifying woman)
The boy selling garri is my brother (Participial phrase as adjective phrase as qualifying “boy”
We all admire a person of courage (adjectival phrase)
I know a girl who has strange appetites. (adjectival phrase qualifying the “girl”)
The student forgot to bring back the bag that I gave her. (Adjectival phrase qualifying bag)
The coat made of cotton is very lovely (Adjectival phrase qualifying coat)
Underline the adjectival phrases in the following sentences and state their functions
The man in the sitting room is my father
I love a student who reads his books.
The lady whose husband was arrested has gone to the police station.
ESSAY WRITING: ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY
ESSAYS: SCOPE AND METHOD
An argumentative essay is one that requires you to present a subject with a view to persuading your reader to agree with your own point of view against another one.
The scope and Methods
It is necessary to give a clear intelligent definition of subject of discussion so that your reader is in no doubt about what you want to write about. Then, proceed to give points to support your view.
Consider the following questions:
Write an essay setting out your argument either in favour or against the following topic: Co-education should be encouraged in secondary schools
Write an essay setting out your argument both for and against the following topic: Co-education should be encouraged in Secondary Schools
Write an essay setting out your argument to justify the following topic: Co-education should not be encouraged in secondary schools?
In (i) and (ii) you are expected to write on one side of the topic. Although in (i) you are given a choice to make between writing for or against, there is no such in three. On the other hand, (ii) demands that you write on the two sides of the topic.
Write an essay, setting out your argument to justify the following topic: Patriotism Enhances the Growth of a Nation.
GENERAL EVALUATION/ REVISION QUESTIONS
Choose from the options, the word that has the correct stress.
- indoctrinate (a) In-doc-tri-nate (b) In-DOC-tri-nate (c) In-doc-TRI-nate (d) In-doc –tri –NATE
- refinery (a) RE-fin-e-ry (b) Re-FIN-e-ry (c) re-fin-E-ry (d) Re-fin-e-RY
- phenomenal (a) PHE-no-me-nal (b) Phe –No-me-nal (c) Phe-no-ME-nal (d) Phe-no-me-NAL
- consistency (a) CON-sis-ten-cy (b) Con-SIS-ten-cy (c) Cons-sis-TEN-cy d. Con-sis-tenCY
- acrobatic (a) a-CRO-ba-tic (b) A-cro-ba-tic (c) a-cro-BA-tic (d) A-cro-ba-TIC
Choose the option nearest in meaning to the underlined words.
- The boxer regained consciousness momentarily in the dressing room. (a) immediately ( b) permanent (c) permanently (d) temporarily
- The thief crept stealthily into the store (a) fast (b) quietly (c) loudly (d) slowly
- Hussain faced the problem squarely (a) partially (b) roundly (c) impartially (d) fully
- Effiong was meticulous in planning for the future. (a) careful (b) careless (c) tactful (d) sincere
- Chinedu was satisfied with the results (a) qualified (b) enraged (c) contented (d) discouraged
You have been invited to participate in a debate organized by your club.
Write out your contribution either for or against the following motion:
Participation of Women in Government Should be Encouraged.