WISE BUYING PRACTICES
- Make a good shopping list
- Keep to the shopping list when buying
- Ensure that there are adequate storage facilities for the foodstuff to be purchased.
- Buy foods that are in season
- Judge the quality of food before buying
- Judge values of food before buying
- Make bulk purchases whenever possible
- Compare values and prices in different stores
This is the process of buying foodstuffs in large quantities.
Table of Contents
- It is economical and saves money
- It saves time and energy
- It enables the homemaker to buy food in season.
- It is very useful for food management in large families
- It ensures that food is always in the house.
- It can take much of the family income and prevent purchase of other needed commodities.
- One kind of food purchased in bulk is monotonous to the family diet.
- Lack of proper storage and management of food can lead to wastage.
- Poor quality foodstuffs purchased in bulk will spoil in storage.
FOOD PRESERVATION AND STORAGE
Food preservation is the caring for or treating food in such a way that it will be kept in good condition for a long period of time.
METHODS OF PRESERVING FOOD
- Solar or sun drying
Food storage involves keeping preserved or purchased food in safe condition and suitable facility for use.
FOOD STORAGE FACILITIES
- Plastic food container
- Food store
- Food storage cupboards, cabinets and shelves
- Refrigerators and freezers.
IMPORTANCE OF PROPER STORAGE OF FOOD
- It prevents food from spoilage
- It prevents loss of nutrients
- It helps the homemaker to save money
- It saves time and energy of going to the market always.
State five kitchen equipment and five kitchen utensils.