(Infants 0 – 1 year and toddlers 1 2 years)
Table of Contents
Guidelines for providing children’s meal
- The food must be rich in protein for body building, energy foods for their activities, minerals and vitamins for vitality.
- Their food should be rich in milk, meat, fish, eggs, legumes
- Meal times should be regular.
- Their food must be cooked by the most easily digested methods
- An excessive consumption of sweets and candies that may lead to tooth decay should be avoided.
This is a period of rapid growth. They therefore need proper feeding. Their food should be rich in protein, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins.
They require increased intake of iron. This is to make up for that which they lose monthly during menstruation. Insufficient supply of iron in the girls diet can result in anaemia
Members of the group have reached maturity and stopped growing. They therefore require food for energy and maintenance rather than for growth. The following are special groups of adults
- The Manual worker: they do strenuous jobs such as farming, grass or wood cutting, mining e.t.c. this jobs require expenditure of excess energy. Therefore, they require increased intake of energy foods.
- Sedentary worker: Sedentary work is not strenuous. It involves sitting down. E.g. writing, working in office, selling goods in a shop e.tc. They do not require much energy foods in their diet.
ELDERLY PEOPLE OR AGED
Members of group are often characterized by reduced physical activity. They therefore need less energy. Their needs for proteins, vitamins remain unchanged.
An invalid is a person who is sick while a Convalescent is one who is no longer sick but is in the process of gradual recovery after illness. Doctor’s instruction must be followed while serving them. Their meals must be balanced, served at regular times every day, avoid strong spices and meals must be cooked by the most easily digested methods.
A strict vegetarian will not eat any animal foods e.g. meat, fish, egg and their products while a Lacto-vegetarian will not eat the flesh of animals and fish. However, they drink milk and eat butter and cheese. In both cases, meals should combine numerous vegetable, proteinous food and soya beans.
Mention five ways of storing food.