Household linen is a term used collectively to include a variety of textile articles used in the home. A good supply of household linen is a very necessary item in the home; they are expensive and require good care.
Table of Contents
TYPES OF HOUSEHOLD LINEN AND THEIR USES
- CURTAINS AND DRAPERIES: These are fabrics or materials used for decorating our doors and windows. Curtains can be light or heavy, opaque or transparent.
Uses of Curtains and Draperies
- They shade the room from excessive light and wind.
- They beautify the room by adding colour to it.
- They provide privacy for family.
- They establish the character and mood of a room.
- BED LINEN: Includes all the different types of fabrics materials used to make the bed. They are:
- Mattress covers used for covering the mattress in order to protect it from dust and dirt
- Bed sheets used for making the bed
- Pillow cases used for covering the pillows
- Bed spreads used as spread over a made bed and as a covering for the person lying on the bed
- Blankets used as covering for warmth in cold nights.
- TABLE LINEN: refers to all clothes and mats used on the table. They include;
- Table clothes used for covering the table
- Place mats used on the table for setting cover. The cover refers to the place set for one person on the dining table.
- Table napkins used during meals for protecting your dress and for wiping the mouth and hands
- Tea clothes used for wiping or cleaning the table.
- BATHROOM LINEN: they are made up of
- Bath-towels used for wiping the dry after bath
- Face-towels; these are smaller than bath towels and they are used for cleaning the face.
- KITCHEN LINEN
- Hand towels used for wiping and drying hands
- Oven gloves or cloths; they are often padded and used for taking out hot pans and dishes from the oven or top of the cooker.
- Dish clothes are non-fluffy clothes used for wiping off spills on kitchen surfaces
- Glass cloth for blotting off water or moisture from vegetables and fruits
- Muslim; this is a light loosely woven fabric used for straining during food preparation e.g in the preparation of starch or coconut milk or soya milk.
- Tea towels; used for blotting off water or moisture from vegetables and fruits and wiping glass-wares, crockery and cutlery
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE THE SELECTION OF HOUSEHOLD LINEN
The following points are to be considered when selecting household linen
- What the linen is to use for
- The type of fabric
- Durability of the fabric
- Size of the bed and pillows should be considered when choosing bed sheets, mattress covers e.t.c.
- All types of towels should be soft and absorbent
- Household linen should be colour-fast
- The needs of the family
- The size of the family
- Money available.
- Mention 5 factors to consider when choosing household linen.
- State 5 kitchen linen and their uses.