Science and technology is the application of scientific knowledge to solve perceived or advertised practical problems. The application of science and technology has made tremendous impact in the transportation system in Nigeria and all over the world. Below are the impact of science and technology on world transportation system.
- Science and technology has led to the construction of good and reliable roads, rails and bridges which has made transportation easier and comfortable.
- Science and technology has made possible for the production of cars, aircrafts, ships, boats, etc that has made the transportation of people and good easy and convenient.
- It has helped to enhance international trade among countries of the world.
- It made the construction of airports and seaports possible.
- It has ensured speed in the movement of people and goods from one location to another.
PROBLEMS OF TRANSPORTATION IN NIGERIA
- Inadequate funding of transport infrastructures.
- Poor maintenance of transportation facilities.
- Poor policies in the management of transportation.
- High rate of accidents.
- Recklessness of drivers.
- Harassment by law enforcement agents.
- Under utilization of water transport.
- Disobedience to traffic rules.
SOLUTION TO TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA
- Adequate funding of transportation infrastructures.
- Good maintenance of transportation facilities.
- Construction of more roads, rails and airports.
- Formulation of effective policies on transportation.
- Public enlightenment campaign on traffic rules.
- Training of traffic personnel.
- Adequate equipment of transportation agencies for effective performance.