INTRODUCTION TO GEOGRAPHY: MEANING, SCOPE AND VALUE MEANING OF GEOGRAPHY
The word Geography is derived from the Greek word ‘Geo’ meaning the earth, and ‘graph’ which means description. Geography can therefore be defined as the description of the earth. However, Geography does not only describe the surface of the earth and its features. It also investigates the inter-relationship between man and his environment. Hence Geography can also be referred to as the study of people, their activities, places and physical things within the earth.
Table of Contents
Geography deals with the study of different people in different locations of the earth including their activities like agriculture, mining, trading, fishing, manufacturing, construction, etc. Geography also relates with the different peoples of the world, their occupations, cultures, ways of dressing, religion, etc In addition, Geography involves the study of physical things within the earth such as rocks, mountains, plains, valleys, rivers, oceans, weather, rainfall, soils, vegetation, etc.
SCOPE OF GEOGRAPHY
Geography is a social science subject which deals with the study of man, his activities and his environment. Its relevance cuts across many other subjects like Economics, Agricultural Science, Government, History, etc. It is concerned with the study of the size, shape and movement of the earth and other heavenly bodies, landmass, bodies of water, climate, vegetation and events in different places of the world. It also deals with the spatial distribution of animal and natural resources as well as human activities.
- What is Geography?
- The Greek word ‘Geo’ means what?
- Explain the scope of geography.
VALUE OF GEOGRAPHY
The value of geography or its importance include the following:
- It enables man to have a better understanding of his environment.
- Geography raises issues, problems and solutions vital to modern society.
- It consists of knowledge of the world around us i.e it enables us to study the ways of lives of other people in other parts of the world.
- A well trained geographer can perform many vital roles in the politics and socio-economic sector of the society. He can use his geographical knowledge in such areas as urban, economic, rural or regional planning.
- Geography helps us to understand some other related topics in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, history, mathematics e.t.c.
- It enables us have a better understanding of physical things around us such as vegetation, climate, rivers, soil, oceans, mountains e.t.c.
- It enables us to choose a career from which we can earn a living.
What are the values of Geography?
- What is Geography?
- Explain the scope of Geography.
- What are the importance of Geography in our society?
- ‘Geo’ in the word geography means what?
- The capital of Lagos state is ______.
- ________ is defined as the description of the earth. (a) Physics (b) Agriculture(c) Geography
- One of the following is wrong about Geography (a) It helps us to study physical things around us (b) it helps us to study temperature and rainfall of places only (c) it enables us to study the way of life of other people in other parts of the world
- Geography is a social science subject which deals with the study of (a) plants and animals (b) man and his environment (c) crop planting and animal rearing
- Geography cuts across the following other fields of human study except (a) Economics (b) Government (c) Music
- The word “Geo” in Greek means (a) describe (b) power (c) earth
- Write the capital of the following states in Nigeria (i) Ebonyi (ii) Plateau (iii) Ogun.
- State two importance of geography.