An election can be defined as an act, or process of voting for a candidate to represent the people of a country in the various arms of government. The concept of election implies that the voters have wider choices and can choose among them that will transform the country.
IMPORTANCE OF ELECTION
- Choice of leaders: Elections give the people in a country the opportunity for choosing their leaders for different political offices like the President, Governor, Legislators etc.
- It promotes Democracy: Election is one of the pillars of democracy. Regular free and fair elections help in sustaining democracy in any country.
- Easy and peaceful change of Government: Elections provide an opportunity for the masses to peacefully remove bad government from office and ensures peaceful change of government from one regime to another. Thanks to peaceful removal of Goodluck Ebele Jonathan from office and president Mohammadu Buhari comes in.
- It checks the excesses of Leaders: Leaders with oppressive and tyrannical tendencies tend to change knowing fully well that the electorates may not vote them in again if they do not rule well. No thanks to the regime of late Military junta General Sanni Abacha in Nigeria.
- It provide opportunity for political education: Election provides a forum for political parties to give political education to the masses. This is done through campaigns and rallies where parties unfold their manifestoes to the masses.