UNITED MIDDLE BELT CONGRESS (UMBC)
The United Middle Belt Congress was founded in 1955 under the leadership of late J.S. Tarka. The party concentrated its political activities in the middle belt and demanded for the creation of a middle belt region out of the Northern region.
Table of Contents
NORTHERN ELEMENT PROGRESSIVE UNION (NEPU)
The Northern Element Progressive Union was formed in August 1950 under the leadership of Late Mallam Aminu Kano. The political party was both radical and democratic.
POLITICAL PARTIES IN THE SECOND REBUBLIC
The National Party of Nigeria(NPN)
The NPN was officially launched in September 1978 in Lagos after the lifting of ban on party politics. The NPN could be seen as an off shoot of NPC (first republican political party). The major bulk of the leaders of the NPN came from the former NPC and few others from other parts of the country. The leaders included; AlhajiAliyuMakamaBida, Ali Monguno, ShehuShagari, AdamuCiroma, AdisaAkinloye ( the party’s chairman) etc.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF NPN
- To develop an enviable housing scheme for all at both urban and rural settings.
- To build a strong and united nation where contented citizens would live in peace and harmony.
- To show respect to the provisions of the constitution.
- To build a prosperous and self- reliant Nigeria based on a strong agricultural and industrial sector where all Nigerians would be given equal opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or tribe.
CONTRIBUTION OF THEN.P.N
- National party: The party had a true national coloration because it members spread to almost all parts of the country.
- The party won the 1979 and 1983 republican presidential election.
- The party produced the first executive president for the country.
- The party also won governorship election in seven states of the federation.
- P.N. to some extent implemented its housing scheme in all the states.
- The party helped in producing seasoned politicians who can stand the test of type anytime and anywhere.
- Briefly explain the formation of the United Middle Belt Congress.
- Mention 3 aims and objectives of N.P.N.
UNITY PARTY OF NIGERIA (UPN)
It was the UPN that emerged as the first political association after the ban on political activities was lifted by the military government. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the founder and leader of UPN. Other prominent personalities of the party included; Chief AdekunleAjasin, AlhajiLateefJakande, Chief Bola Ige, Chief BisiOnabanjo, Professor Ambrose Alli, etc. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the presidential candidate of the party. Majority of the members of UPN belonged to the first republic Action Group.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF UPN
- Free education at all levels.
- Integrated rural development.
- Free health services for all citizens.
- Full and gainful employment for all the able bodied.
CONTRIBUTIONS OF THE UPN
- The party won gubernatorial elections in five states in 1979 and lost one of them in 1983 elections.
- UPN successfully acted as a strong opposition party that reduced the excesses of the ruling
- The party introduced free education in all the states won by UPN.
- The party produced eminent politicians in Nigeria.
- The party helped to educate the citizens through their programmes and activities e.g rallies symposia etc.
- Explain the formation of UPN.
- What were the aims and objectives of UPN?
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- Mention the names of the founding fathers of NPN.
- Give the names of the people that founded UPN.
- Highlight the achievements made by UPN.
- Highlight 5 features of the Clifford constitution.
- Enumerate 5 failures of the Richards constitution.
- The UMBC was founded by —- (a) J.S. Tarka (b) ObafemiAwolowo (c) H.O.Davies (d) Nnamdi Azikiwe
- The Northern Element Progressive Union was led by —– (a) Shehu Shagari (b) Aminu Kano (c) Murtala Mohammed (d) Tafawa Balewa
- The presidential candidate of the Unity Party of Nigeria was —– (a) Shehu Shagari (b) Chief Bola Ige (c) Chief Obafemi Awolowo (d) Nnamdi Azikiwe
- The National Party of Nigeria won ___ states in the 1979 general elections (a) 7 (b) 6 (c)8 (d) 10
- The presidential candidate of the National Party of Nigeria was —– (a) Chief Olusegun Obasanjo (b) Chief ObafemiAwolowo (c) ShehuShagari (d) AdekunleAjasin
- What were the achievements of the NPN?
- Explain the contributions made by UPN.