The Nigeria People’s Party
It was Alhaji Waziri who led the group of Nigerians that formed the NPP. Other members were, ChiefAdeniranOgunsanya who later became the chairman of the party, Chief Olu Akinfosile, Chief Mathew T. Mbu, Dr Obi Wali Chief Sam Mbakwe, Chief Dominic Nwaobodo, Chief Solomon Lar, Alhaji Ado Ibrahim etc. Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe joined the party after its formation and later became its leader and presidential candidate.
Table of Contents
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF NPP
- To promote and sustain the unity of Nigeria.
- To work towards full employment of all Nigerians.
- For a better standard of living by providing shelter and food.
- To work for a secular state that upholds democracy, rule of law and guarantee fundamental.human rights.
- To work towards a virile and self reliant economy.
CONTRIBUTIONS OF NPP
- The party won gubernatorial elections and controlled three states of Imo, Anambra and Plateau.
- The party contributed in producing prominent politicians in Nigeria.
- The party served as a link between the government and the people.
- The party co-operated with the ruling party in government to ensure a sustainable second republic administration.
- It helped to recruit leaders to political offices in the government as well as in the parties.
- List 5 members of the NPP
- List 4 aims and objectives of NPP
GREAT NIGERIA PEOPLE’S PARTY
The great Nigeria People’s Party was formed by Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri who was a founding member of NPP. He left NPP as a result of disagreement he had with other members of the party caucus over the post of party chairman and presidential candidate and formed the GNPP. Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri the author and advocate of Politics without Bitterness became the national leader and the presidential candidate of the party. The party won and controlled states of Borno and Gongola.
PEOPLE’S REDEMPTION PARTY (PRP)
The People Redemption Party was formed by Mallam Aminu Kano who became the party’s national leader and the presidential candidate. The party won gubernatorial elections and controlled two states of Kano and Kaduna.
The last party to be registered, Nigeria Advance Party (NAP) was formed by a Lagos lawyer Mr. Tunji Braithwaite. The party was registered after the 1979 general election and it contested the 1983 elections but did not win the presidency or any gubernatorial election.
- What was the major contribution made by the GNPP?
- Who were the founding fathers of GNPP?
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- State five aims and objectives of NPP.
- Give 4 achievements of NPP.
- What contribution did PRP made?
- State 6 features of the Macpherson constitution.
- Highlight the recommendations made at the London constitutional conference of 1953.
- All the following were the founding fathers of NPP except__ (a) Dr Obi Wali (b) Chief Obafemi Awolowo (c) Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri (d) Sam Mbakwe
- Who is regarded as the advocate of Politics without bitterness? (a)Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (b) Alhaji Aminu Kano (c) Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri (d) Herbert Macaulay
- People’s redemption party was formed by ___ (a) Mallam Aminu Kano (b) Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri (c) Dr Festus Okotie (d) NnamdiAzikiwe
- Who was the presidential candidate of NPP? _ (a) ObafemiAwolowo (B) DrNnamdiAzikiwe(C) Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri (d) Solomon Lar
- The GNPP was formed by (a) Chief Sam Mbakwe (b) Alhaji Ibrahim Waziri (c) Chief Solomon Lar (d) Sam Mbakwe
- List 5 contributions of the NPP.
- List the political parties in the second republic.