Occupation refers to various activities that are legal, ( that is not against the law ) which people engage in, in order to earn their daily living. It can also be defined as the activities in which people engage themselves in, in order to earn a living.
Table of Contents
CLASSIFICATION OF OCCUPATION
Occupations are divided or classified into the following groups:-
- Extractive occupation: this occupation involves people whose activities are directed to the process of bringing natural resources from the sea and soil. Examples of those in this occupation are farmers, fishermen, hunters, etc. they produce raw materials.
- Manufacturing occupation: those involved in this are engaged in changing the form of the raw materials extracted by workers in extractive occupation. Examples of workers in this occupation are cloth weavers, motor manufacturers, etc.
- Constructive Occupation: workers involved in this occupation engage in assembling different components extracted and manufactured by both the extractive and manufacturing occupation workers. Examples are road construction, bridge construction
- Write a short note on extractive and manufacturing occupation
- Give 4 examples of constructive occupation
- Commercial Occupation: this involves the activities of those who work in different groups as a team in order to make production of goods and services possible. They also work to make goods and services available to those who need them. Examples of commercial occupation are banking, transportation, warehousing etc.
- Direct Services Occupation: these include those whose daily activities involve giving satisfaction, amusement, enjoyment and rendering of personal services to others. Examples of those in this occupation are actors, dancers, doctors, barbers, etc.
- Indirect Services Occupation: these involve those who earn their living by rendering one type of service or another to members of the public. Examples are police, soldier, etc.
- What is an occupation?
- List five types of occupation.
- Examples of commercial occupation are except (a) banking (b) insurance
(c) warehousing (d) farming
- Which of the following statements is not true of extractive occupation? [a] It involves production of raw materials [b] It is also called primary production [c]Examples are farming, hunting, fishing [d] A banker is in an extractive occupation
- The following are branches of occupation except [a]mining [b]hunting [c]dancing [d]banking
- A singer is in [a] extractive occupation [b] manufacturing occupation [c] constructive occupation [d]direct service occupation
- Which of the following is not in the group (a)transportation (b)banking (c)warehousing (d)fishing
- List 6 classes of occupation
- Explain one of the following branches of occupation listed in question one
REVISION / EVALUATION QUESTION
- Who is a clerical staff?
- Give two examples of the clerical staff.
- Mention the duty of clerical staff.
- Where does a clerical staff work?
- Mention five qualities of clerical staff