Catering Family Improvement Food & Nutrition Health Home Management Home Science


Poison is any substance which when taken causes harm to the body. It gets into the body through swallowing, breathing in gases (inhalation), contact through pesticides and chemicals pushed through the skin.

– Baby drinking paraffin from a bottle

– Man seated in an enclosed room without ventilation and there is a jiko, hence he is inhaling carbon monoxide.

– Wash hands after handling pesticides.

– Label medicines, insecticides and all other poisonous substances and keep them away from the reach of children.

– Medicines should be taken as prescribed by the doctor.

– Do not store chemicals near food

– Management of poison that does not burn

– If conscious, give drinks of milk or water immediately.

– Induce vomiting by touching the back of the throat with fingers.

– Give more drinks as you take the person to the nearest health facility.

Note: take the container that held the poison with you.


Management of poison that burns

Give casualty water to drink immediately. Wash away poison from the skin. Refer casualty to nearest health facility

Note: take the container that held the poison with you Do not store chemicals near food.


See also







Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You cannot copy content of this page