Values is the actual worth of a thing in monetary terms. Values can be seen as the importance that we attach to a thing. Society values refers to the norms, standards and principles which the society expects from people living in it.
Table of Contents
Forms of values
- Moral values: This has to do with conduct and disciplined behaviour.
- Economic value: This is the effort of an individual to earn a living through economic activities
- Social value: This is our pattern of behaviours
- Political value: This involves leadership and good governance
- Individual virtue: This is the belief and faith to survive and succeed in life.
Importance of values
- Values directs our behaviour and our relationship with others.
- Values increases good behaviour and feeling
- Values brings happiness and satisfaction when we live by it.
- Values enhances self-esteem
- Value gives a sense of fulfilment and contentment.
Community and societal values
- Patriotism (good citizenship)
- Justice and equity
- Good road and other social amenities
- Good educational institutions
- Good morals
- Adequate health care delivery system
- Love, peace and cooperation
- Honesty, fairness and transparency
Factors that promotes good values
- Consistency – this is being regular and unchanging in our behaviour.
- Tolerance – this is accepting and respecting other people’s opinion and belief.
- Trust – this is belief in someone or something
- Fairness – this is being just and rational.
- What is value?
- Explain the importance of values in our society
Students also read: