Reasons for care of clothing
- To make the clothing last longer. Dirt can damage fabrics
- To kill any disease-carrying germs and pests in the fabrics
- To keep the clothes looking clean or better, dirty clothes are unpleasant to look at
- To save money since clean clothes last longer
- To ensure that whatever clothes you have will be available for wearing anytime.
LAUNDRY AGENTS AND EQUIPMENT
- Water; used for soaking, washing and rinsing clothes.
- Soaps and detergents; to lower the surface tension of water, remove certain stains, kill carrying germs in fabrics.
- Bleaches; make white cotton and linen fabrics whiter, remove certain stains, kill disease carrying germs in fabric.
- Stiffening agents; to stiffen cotton and linen fabrics, to give the fabrics a smooth surface and fresh look
- Stain removers; to remove stains from fabrics.
LAUNDRY EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS
- Equipment and tools for collecting dirty clothes; these include linen baskets or bins, laundry bags
- Equipment and tools for washing; these include basins, buckets and laundry tubs or trays, they can be made of plastics, stainless steel or porcelain. We also have washing machine.
- Equipment and tools for drying; clothes lines, movable clothes, horses or hangers, pegs e.t.c.
- Ironing or pressing equipment; These include the iron, ironing board, ironing pads e.t.c.
GENERAL GUIDELINES AND STEPS IN LAUNDERING FABRICS
- Stain removal
- Soaking and steeping
- Bluing and stiffening
- Finishing or ironing
- Folding and storage.
Explain the steps in laundry process