Care of the family house is important as the cleanliness of an environment determines the health and well-being of the individuals living there.
Table of Contents
REASONS FOR CARE OF FAMILY HOUSE
- To make the house and its surrounding clean and attractive.
- To prolong the life span of the house and its contents.
- To prevent insects and rodents or harmful animals from hiding or breeding in and around the house.
- To prevent easy spread of diseases.
- To make the home a healthy place to some live in.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS FOR CLEANING THE FAMILY HOUSE
Equipment Uses Care
Long broom For removing cobwebs and dust from ceilings Remove all dust from the broom and walls. keep in a clean place.
Short broom For sweeping and scrubbing the floor or gutters Beat in water to remove dirty
particles. Rinse, dry and store it
Scrubbing For scrubbing the floor andother surfaces Beat in water to remove dirt.
brushDry and keep in a safe place.
Floor mops Mops are used for wiping water from the floor. Wash the wool and duster.
and dusters Dusters are used to remove dirt from a surface Rinse thoroughly and dry
Dust panFor packing dirtWash and disinfect the plastic
Anddust binFor keeping dirt before they are disposed.onesweekly.
It should be covered regularly.
- Explain the uses and care of the following:
(c) Dust bin
(d) Dust pan
(2) Mention five reasons for the care of the family house.
TYPES OF CARE
- Daily cleaning
- Weekly cleaning
- Open the windows and doors for good ventilation
- Remove all used and littered items
- Sweep the floor
- Dust flat surface to remove dust
- Rearrange the furniture properly
- Clean and keep all cleaning materials
Carryout all the daily cleaning then add the following:
- Clean the ceiling and wall.
- Treat the floor and floor covering according to its types.
- Clean the windows and window frame according to the types.
- Dust flat surfaces and rearrange the room neatly.
- Replace all used item into their normal places after cleaning them.
Household waste includes all the rubbish that a family accumulates/generates. Waste needs to be properly disposed of in order to keep our surrounding or environment clean safe. Waste can be disposed using materials like refuse bin, refuse bags baskets, etc.
- Define household waste.
- Write out two weekly and daily cleaning of any functional area of the family house.
IMPROPER WASTE DISPOSAL CAN LEAD TO
- Air pollution
- Disease outbreak
- Blockage of water channels
- Breeding place for household pest.
METHODS OF DISPOSAL OF HOUSEHOLD REFUSE
1.Burning:This is done by burning all dry refuse such as rags, leaves, old newspaper and plastics, etc.
- Burying: This is done by burying refuse under the ground such refuse are bottles, cans, broken plates, nails, etc. This method is the most hygienic way of disposing refuse.
- Compost Making: This is a method in which some household refuse such as food items which can decay are buried in proper compost pit to rot so as to be used as manure.
- Feeding Animals: This is where some refuse such as bones, leftover food etc. are used to feed animals like dogs, goats, fowls etc.
General Evaluation Questions
- Explain three reasons /importance of care of the family house.
- 2.List various methods of disposing household refuse.
- Mention two effects of improper waste disposal.
- Mention the five sense organs and their functions.
- Explain the types of natural hair.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
1.Household wastes are ………… generated from the home (a)rubbish(b)books(c)clothes (d) food.
2——–method of disposal of household refuse is hygienic(a)burying(b)burning(c)compost making (d) feeding of animals.
- Taking care of the house helps to……..(a)spread disease(b)eliminate disease(c) Be fit (d) all of the above.
4.Cleaning of the ceiling should be done (a) weekly (b) monthly (c)yearly (d) daily.
- The following are equipment for taken care of the house except……….(a)brushes (b)brooms(c)table (d) mop.
- Explain how to take care of the following:-
- Dust pan.
- Dust bin.
- Short broom.
- Explain two reasons why family house should be taken care of.