Make-up is meant to bring out one’s natural good looks. It is not something with which to just cover up the face with. It should be applied neatly and sparingly under good light. Less make-up should be worn for daytime than for evening.
Table of Contents
Cosmetics are preparations designed to make the skin or hair beautiful, to restore or correct one’s appearance. They are make-ups or substances applied on the body, mainly on the skin in order to improve natural features.These include powders, eyeliners and pencils, lipstick, facial creams etc.
IMPORTANCE OF COSMETICS/MAKE-UPS
- They are used to improve natural features.
- They can be used to hide a person’s poor features.
- Some make-ups are used as treatment for such skin problems as pimples.
- If well applied, it makes one look more attractive.
- Make-ups also help to protect the skin such as foundation creams/powder
TYPES OF COSMETICS
1.Indigenous Cosmetics: These are usually naturally occurring materials in the locality. Some of these are still being used to day in many parts of the country. They are cosmetics found in the locality. They are used in the past and even some are still in used today.
(i). Tiro (Yoruba)/Tanjere (Igbo): It is applied as an eyeliner using a special thin stick reserved for the purpose.
(ii). Camwood Powder ‘uhe’ (Igbo) or Osun (Yoruba): This is a red substance which can be thoroughly dried and ground into a fine powder. It can be used on the face and the entire body. It is said to have a smoothening on the skin.
(iii). Body Paint “Uri or Uli” (Igbo): This is a special body paint made from the bark, seeds or roots of certain trees. It also has same medicinal effects.
(iv). Lali or Laile: This is made from leaves of a special tree. It is used by ladies.
(v). Nzu (Igbo) or Efun (Yoruba): This is a local chalk if grounded can be applied on the face and body
- State threeimportance of make- up.
- Mention four types of Indigenous.
- Commercially Prepared Cosmetics: Most of the cosmetics that are found in the market nowadays are commercially prepared in large quantities industrially and are made up of a combination of chemicals in different proportions depending on the type of product being prepared.e.g. are powders, lipstick, creams, eyes pencils, cortex, etc.
POINTS TO BEAR IN MIND IN THE CHOICE AND USE OF COSMETICS
- Avoid heavy make-ups. Use as little make-up as possible.
- Use cosmetics that can help to protect your skin.
- Choose cosmetics that will enhance your natural look.
- Avoid the use of bleaching creams.
- Always wash off the make-ups before going to bed.
- Keep your powder puff clean.
- Choose good and quality powder.
- Close the pores on your face before applying make-ups.
These can either be a bag, purse or box containing the materials (cosmetics) and tools used to apply them on the body.
- Creams, lotions and pomades
- Soaps and bath jellies
- Nail polish and nail polish removers
- Perfumes and deodorants
- Hair make-ups.
- Face make-ups-eyeliner, eye shadow mascaras, eyebrow liner, and rouge.
PROCEDURE FOR THE APPLICATION OF MAKE-UP
- Application of foundation cream
- Application of face powder
- Application of other make-ups like lip stick, blush, mascara, etc.
- Application of perfume.
DEODORANTS AND ANTI-PERSPIRANTS
We need to use deodorants every day to control the odour caused by perspirants and other factors on our skin. Deodorants do no stop perspiration but they hide smells caused by perspiration.
Deodorants are substances which can be applied to the skin to prevent odour from forming on the body when one sweats. They come in form of roll-on, sprays or sticks with different fragrance or perfume.
Anti-perspirants: They are products or astringents that reduce the amount of perspiration a person secretes for several hours. They reduce perspiration by anti-drying the sweat quickly at the pores, making one appear not to be sweating.
APPLICATION OF DEODORANTS AND ANTIPERSPIRANTS
- All cosmetics and deodorant should be applied on clean skin
- Before the usage, remove unsightly hair from under your arms.
- Wash the armpits thoroughly during baths. Rinse properly and dry with clean towel.
- Apply deodorant lightly according to type.
General Evaluation Questions
- List 3 types of commercial cosmetics.
- Define the following: (i) cosmetics (ii) deodorants (ii) anti-perspirants.
- Enumerate five points to bear in mind when choosing cosmetics.
- Define the following: (i) exercise (ii) posture (iii) drug abuse (v) nutrients.
- Define feeding habits.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
1………is a red substance used to smoothening the skin.(a)Camwood(b)Uli(c)Lali (d) Blush.
2………..is a name given to local chalk in Igbo (a)Lali (b)Uhe(c)Nzu (d) Osun.
3……. helps to prevent bad body odour from accumulating on the body (a) Deodorant (b)Cream(c) Cosmetics (d) Pomade.
4 ………….helps to improve one’s natural features(a)deodorant (b)cosmetics(c)creams (d) powder.
5.Anti-perspirants help to reduce….. (a) water(b) heat(c) blood (d) sweat.
- State the function of body paint.
- List six commercial cosmetics.