Cosmetics are make-ups or substances applied on the body, mainly on the face to improve the natural features of the body.
Table of Contents
Deodorants are substances applied on the skin to prevent or control body odour when a person sweats. Deodorants come in the form of ‘roll-on’, spray or sticks, with different types of fragrances or perfume.
IMPORTANCE OF COSMETICS AND DEODORANTS
- They are used to improve natural features
- They can be used to hide a person’s poor feature
- Some make-up can be used as a treatment for skin problems such as pimples
- When properly used, they can make one look more attractive
- Some make-up can help protect the skin.
The following are various types of cosmetics.
- Assorted types of body creams
- Nail polish and varnish
- Perfumes and deodorants
- Hair make-ups
- Face make-up, such as:
- Powders which come in various colours and textures
- Eye shadow
- Eyebrow liner
- Rouge applied lightly on the cheek.
- Lipstick and lip liner.
We also have indigenous cosmetics. Indigenous cosmetics are simple preparation containing natural ingredients which are used by women to make them look more beautiful. They are often gotten from leaves, roots, soil, bark of trees, herbs and shrubs.
TYPES OF INDIGENOUS COSMETICS
- Eye make-up “Tiro”: it is applied as eyeliner using a special thin stick reserved for the purpose.
- Camwood powder; “the”(Igbo) or “Oshun”(Yoruba)”
- Body paint “uri”(Igbo)
- “Lali”or “Lalle”
- “Nzu”(Igbo) or “efun”(Yoruba)
TOOLS FOR MAKING POMADE
Saucepan, mixing spoon, Bottle or plastic pomade containers.
RECIPE FOR MAKING POMADE
2 cups of petroleum jelly, ¾ cup of mineral oil, 1mineral wax for thickening, 1 tablespoon of lanoline, Colour (as desired) and Perfume (as desired).
- Differentiate between indigenous and modern cosmetics.
- State five effects of bleaching cream on the skin
Outline the procedures for making pomade.