TYPES OF HOMEMADE CLEANING AGENTS
- Fine sand: this can be used as an abrasive for cleaning pots. It should not be used on smooth surfaces to avoid scratching.
- Edo powder: this is a yellow coloured substance that is common in Nigerian markets. It has a fine smooth texture. It can be used for cleaning ornaments such as copper, gold and brass
- Finely ground charcoal: this can be used for cleaning smooth metal surfaces
- Pawpaw leaves: fresh pawpaw leaves can be used for cleaning dirty galvanized pails and blackened aluminium pans and pots.
- Local sand-paper leaves (Asisa leaves): these leaves have rough sandy surfaces. They can be used as abrasive for cleaning plain wood surface, blackened pots e.t.c.
- Home-made ‘vim’ or scouring powder (abrasive)
PREPARATION OF HOME-MADE VIM
Materials needed for making this powder at home include: egg shells, broken china ware (if available) and detergent powder.
Table of Contents
- Grind the egg shells and pieces of china ware into very fine powder
- Sift the mixture to ensure a smooth powder
- Mix the powder thoroughly with the detergent powder
- Store in a dry container with a good lid.
Get the following materials while coming to the next class for the preparation of home-made vim.
- Egg shells
- Broken China ware (if available)
- Detergent powder.