Drugs are substances or mixtures used by people, based on medical prescription, for the prevention or total cure of ailments. However, anytime a drug is taken without medical prescription or medical use it becomes abuse. The incidents of drug abuse have tremendous negative effects on the individual, family and society. The agencies working against or fighting for the reduction of drug abuse in Nigeria are NDLEA, NAFDAC, etc. Some of the effects of drug abuse are outlined below:
- Individuals who abuse drugs become problem to themselves and their families.
- It leads to anxiety and desire to use more of the drugs the victim is addicted to.
- It causes depression and change of mood.
- Victims often result into committing crimes such as armed robbery, cultism, drug trafficking, rape etc.
- School children who are into drug abuse mostly perform poorly in academics and eventually drop out of schools.
- Drug abuse is also a major cause of road accidents.
- Sharing of needles used in injecting drugs into the body of victims increases the risk of contracting HIV/AIDS.
- It can lead to psychological problem and loss of memory.
- It brings about low self-esteem and social stigma.
- It can damage important organs of the body such as kidney, liver, lungs, etc
- It can lead to terminal disease such as cancer, kidney failure etc.
- It can lead to break up of marriages.
- Victims become burden on members of the family.
- It leads to shortage of manpower and wastage of material resources.
- Increases government spending on providing rehabilitation services for victims.
- It can promote the bad image of the family and nation
- State five effects of drug abuse on the victim.
- What are the effects of drug abuse on the family and society?
- Define drug and drug abuse
- What do you understand by values?
- Mention five positive values you know.
- Define citizenship education.
- List five importance of citizenship education.
Instruction: From the options lettered A-D, choose the letter that is most appropriate for the following questions. Answer all the questions.
- The agency that is responsible for the enforcement of law against abuse of drugs in Nigeria is
- EFCC B. TUC C. ICPC D. NDLEA
- A person who deals in illegal drugs is (A) Trafficker B. Drug abuser C. Drudgery D. Drug seller
- All are social issues and problems except … A. Trafficking B. internet fraud C. Excessive use of drugs D. Selflessness
- Easy access to drugs can lead to A. sickness B. drug abuse C. good education D. Mosquito bite
- Which of the following will increase incidents of drug abuse? A. Security of national borders B. Strict enforcement of laws C. Poverty D. Education
- List five effects of drug abuse on the society?
- Explain five ways drug abuse can be prevented.