FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE VALUE AND LIFESTYLE
Meaning of value
Table of Contents
Value is the worth placed on an item. Value cannot be seen. Values are beliefs, feelings or ideas of what is important, desirable and good.
TYPES OF VALUES
- Intrinsic values: these are values that are important for their own sake. They are higher values e.g. love, aesthetics, freedom, human dignity, truth etc.
- Instrumental values: these are values that help you to achieve the intrinsic or high values. E.g. orderliness and efficiency which can help you achieve aesthetic values in your home. Others are hard work, leisure, companionship etc.
- Values that have intrinsic and instrumental worth: These are important for their own sake and can also help you in achieving the higher values. E.g. comfort, health, knowledge, religion, ambition, truth etc.
MEANING OF LIFESTYLE
Life style: is the particular way of life of a person, family, nation or a group of people. It is a clear and concise view of the kind of living that will bring satisfaction to a person, family and to other people.
TYPES OF LIFE STYLES
- Roles and roles combination: employers and employees parents, spouse, student. Each may have different ways of life; the different ways are based on the roles performed by each person.
- Consumer practices: some people may be conspicuous consumers, others may be moderate as seen in the types of housing decisions made by families, types of food e.t.c.
- Occupation and employment pattern: A person’s occupation and employment pattern will normally influence how he/she does a thing that is called the lifestyles.
IMPORTANCE OF VALUES SYSTEMS TO THE FAMILY
- It determines the quality of life and life style of the family.
- Determines the types of goals the family sets.
- It influence family decisions
- It determines how families use their resources.
- Influences the behaviours of family member within and outside the family.
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE VALUES AND LIFESTYLE
- Education what you learn in school
- Friends you keep
- Movies, televisions, books, magazines e.t.c.
- Neighbours and community contacts
- Religions trainings
- Cultures of the society.
- Explain the meaning of values and lifestyle
- Enumerates the different types of values and lifestyle
- State five factors that influence values and lifestyle
Explain how family members can influence your values and lifestyle.