Table of Contents
This refers to the team who work together on shift basis, under the chef de cuisine (head chef) in the kitchen.
HEAD CHEF (CHEF DE CUISINE)
The head chef performs mainly administrative duties of supervision in large establishments, but in small establishment with fewer staff, he engages in handling the foods when necessary. He reports and works hand-in-hand with the F & B manager.
- a) He compiles the menus.
- b) He organizes the kitchen.
- c) He prepares the duty roster for the kitchen staff.
- d) He orders the food stuffs (commodities) as the need arises.
- e) He supervises the kitchen and the staff.
- f) He advises management on the purchase of kitchen equipment, utensils, etc.
- g) He also oversees the hygiene and sanitation of the kitchen
ASSISTANCE or DEPUTY CHEF (Sous chef)
He relieves the chef de cuisine when he is off duty. He is the chef’s right hand man.
- a) He supervises the work in the kitchen to make it run smoothly.
- b) He cooperates with the head chef.
- c) He replaces any cook who might not be around.
- d) He works in each kitchen section.
- State three functions of head chef.
- State two functions of sous chef.
CHEF DE PARTIES (Head cooks)
These chefs are each in charge of individual sections of the kitchen. They are job specialists who organize their own sections.
Parties and Their Duties/Functions
- Sauce party (le saucier): This is the sauce cook who prepares various stocks and sauces. He prepares all the meat, poultry and game dishes which are not roasted or grilled.
- Roasted party (rotisseur): The cook roasts and grills meat, poultry and game in the kitchen. All grilled and deep fried foods including potatoes are done by the roast party.
- Fish party (poissonnier): The fish cook prepares all fish dishes, fish sauces and ganishes. He also skins and portions fish for cooking.
- Vegetable party (permentier): He is in charge of vegetable garnishes to main dishes and prepares vegetable and potato dishes.
- Butcher (le boucher): He is directly under the chef or sous chef. He cuts various carcasses of meat in readiness for cooking. Nowadays, pre-cut meat are ordered by many establishments.
- Pastry party (le patissier): All the sweets (desserts) and pastries are prepared by this cook.
- Baker (le Boulanger): He bakes all bread rolls, croissants, cakes, etc.
- Larder cook: The larder is mainly concerned with the preparation of food to be cooked by other parties. It includes preparing the poultry, meat, cleaning and filleting fish,etc
These are assistants often large in number depending on the volume of work done in each section by the party. They work with each head cook in various sections.
These are people learning the trade so at a regular interval, they are moved from one party/section to another to gain knowledge of all the sections in the kitchen.
- Mention three parties in the kitchen and their duties.
- Who are the apprentices?
- ABOYEUR (The barker): He is in charge of announcing the menu. He stylishly calls out ordered dishes to cook and alerts the waiters when it is ready. He controls the hot plate during food service.
- KITCHEN PORTERS (lesgareon de cuisine): They are responsible for general duties such as carrying food from one section to another, changing and washing dirty linen, washing and scrubbing the kitchen working area, etc.
- STILL ROOM MAN (le gareon): He prepares coffee and tea, prepares breakfast foods, hot beverages and hot chocolate ordered from the restaurant during the day.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Mention the main function of a butcher in the kitchen.
- What are the duties of kitchen porters?
- Interpret the following French words to your customer: i. Aboyeur ii. L’apprenti iii. Le sous chef
- State three functions of F & B manager.
- Mention two duties of banquet manager.
- The food and beverage department is divided into the following except ____ A. kitchen B. the bar C. the hotel D. the banquet section
- ___ is responsible for the vegetables used in the kitchen. A. Apprentice B. Vegetable party
- Cleaner D. Bottle collector
- The overall head of the kitchen is ____ A. chef de cuisine B. sous chef C. commis chef
- ___ is in charge of preparation of all roasted and grilled foods. A. Permentier B. Le saucier C. Le Boulanger D. Rotisseur
- Compilation of new menu is one of the functions of ____ A. chef de party B. sous chef C. chef de cuisine D. mitre d’hotel
- State three functions of the head chef.
- State two function of the aboyeur.