BAR PERSONNEL AND THEIR FUNCTIONS
He is in charge of the bar. He reports directly to the F & B manager and works hand-in-hand with the restaurant manager.
Table of Contents
- He ensures that the bar has all the drinks written in the wine list.
- He supervises the entire bar operations.
- He oversees the mis-en-place for the bar.
- He also ensures the provision of adequate bar equipment.
BAR-MAN/BAR TENDER/BAR KEEPER/MIXOLOGIST
They should have thorough knowledge of all alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks being offered within the establishment. He should have knowledge of the ingredients necessary for the making of cocktails. He should have the knowledge of the requirement of the liquor licensing laws to ensure compliance
- Collects drinks from bar manager and stocks the bar with drinks.
- To prepare and mix drinks and cocktail.
- To maintain time keeping and bar stock books.
- To supervise the entire bar operation.
- To instruct, train and supervise all the product workers in all the bars.
Note: A mixologist is an employee who mixes and serves alcoholic beverages at bars. They are also the creators of new mixed drinks. It can also mean a cocktail maker, cocktail bar person or simply bartender. Mixology is the act of making/mixing drinks.
He/she must have the knowledge of foreign languages, beverage laws and laws relating to wine. He/she must have a complete knowledge of wine and its suitability to various dishes. He/she must have a good knowledge of handling and care of wine. He/she must have the knowledge of stock-taking and also mixing of cocktails.
- To prevent the wine list to customers.
- To assist the customers in selection of wines.
- He assists to uncork the bottles in the presence of guests.
- To fetch the wines ordered with the help of the commis waiter.
- He/she is responsible for the service of all alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Who is a mixologist?
- State three responsibilities of bar manager.
A banquet is a food and beverage service at a specific time and place, to a given number of people, to an agreed menu and price. Banquets are special functions such as weddings receptions, birthday parties, conferences, political meetings, etc.
Banqueting is a business of selling space to hold functions. Banquets require large halls with kitchen to provide quantity foods and personnel who are skilled in the art of handling large number of people.
PERSONNEL IN BANQUET AND THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES
He is the overall head of the banquet operation. He reports to the F & B manager. Under him is a team of casual and/or permanent staff.
- He is responsible for administration, operation, booking and selling out of the banquet facilities.
- He prepares weekly schedules for the banquet staff.
- He makes inventory of all the banquet equipment.
- He works in close coordination with the chef in preparing menus.
BANQUET HEAD WAITER:
He is the head of the waiting team in a banquet. He reports to the banquet manager.
- He supervises the necessary mis-en-place for the banquet service.
He allocates the job to be carried out by each banquet waiter.
- He also ensures all equipment to be used are available.
- He ensures meals are served at the right temperature.
- What is banqueting?
- State three responsibilities of a banquet manager.
BANQUET WAITERS AND CASUAL STAFF:
They make the actual arrangements including:
- Carrying the furniture.
- Setting table appointments.
- Serving of foods and drinks to the guests during the function.
- Clearing the tables during after the occasion.
FLOOR WAITER (Chef d’tage):
The floor waiter serves foods to guests in their various rooms. This type of service is called room service. The floor waiter goes to the guest’s room with the food order and the bill which he presented to the guest.
LOUNGE WAITER (Chef de salle):
He is the one responsible for the service of foods and drinks to people in the lounge and other waiting areas. The meals served in these areas are finger foods and snacks.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- State three responsibilities of a banquet head waiter.
- What is mixology?
- Who is a floor waiter?
- State the main function of a lounge waiter.
- Mention three advantages of boiling.
- A mixologist works within the ____. A. kitchen B. bar C. bedroom D. laundry area
- Which of these food and beverage personnel services alcohol? A. Steward B. Demi chef
- Sommelier D. commits de rang
- Which of these food and beverage personnel is responsible for service of foods and drinks to people in the waiting areas? A. Chef de sale B. Maitre d’hotel C. Chef de rang D. Chef d’etage
- ____ assists the customers/guests to uncork the bottles. A. Bar-man B. Wine Butler C. Mixologist D. Server
- ____ is responsible for clearing the table after each course. A. Steward B. Waiter C. Demi Chef D. Bar Keeper
- State two responsibilities of a mixologist.
- State three responsibilities of a bar man
STANDARD AND LOCAL MEASURING EQUIPMENT- FULLY EXPLANATION