Rabbits belong to the group of farm animals referred to small stock. If raised under suitable conditions, their products can be very high. Many people keep rabbits as a hobby while some keep them to make money.
Table of Contents
Male – buck
Female – doe
Baby – kit
CHOICE OF RABBIT FOR REARING
- Ability to grow rapidly,
- A good converter of food into body weight.
- Ability to resist diseases (disease resistant),
- Ability to give birth to many young ones in a litter,
- Good quality hides and skin.
Rabbits are kept in cages for safety from harsh weather and predictors. Mature rabbits are kept singly in HUTCHES (cages), usually made of wooden or metal materials.
The type of housing for rabbits and guinea pigs will depend on the following factors:
- Availability of local housing materials;
- The condition of environment;
- The size of the enterprise;
- The amount of money the farmer has for the enterprise.
- Cereal grains4. Leaf
- Dry bread
- Pelleted ration
- Kitchen waste
- Mineral salt
- Clean, cool water
- Concentrates (groundnut, palm kernel, soybean and cotton seed)
Rabbits suffer from the following diseases:
- Sore back
Bloat is the swelling of the stomach of the animals as a result of overreacting of green succulent vegetables.
Care should be taken to prevent disease attacks on animals.
Simple records should be kept in the pen to show the following:
- The breed of rabbit kept;
- The mating or breeding date;
- Birth dates;
- Number of litters at kindling;
- Size of litter at weaning;
- Number of rabbit sold.
STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES
Step 1: Teacher revises the previous topic
Step2: Teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3: Teacher explains the new topic
Step4: Teacher welcomes pupils questions
Step45 Teacher evaluates the pupils
- List 4 choice of rabbit for rearing;
- State 3 qualities of a rabbits;
- Mention 3 diseases of rabbit and how to control them;
- List 5 records of rabbit keeping.