MEANING OF MATERIALS
A material is a substance or mixture of substances that constitutes an object. Materials can be pure or impure, living or non-living matter.
Table of Contents
Materials can be classified based on their physical and chemical properties, or on their geographical origin or biological function. Materials are resources used in making products of technology.
TYPES OF MATERIALS
- Wood materials
- Plastic materials
- Metal materials
EXAMPLES OF PRODUCTS MADE FROM WOOD MATERIALS
Products made from wood materials are bow and arrow, shelter, furniture, doors and windows bridges, electric poles etc.
EXAMPLES OF PRODUCTS MADE FROM PLASTIC MATERIALS
Products made from plastic materials include the following: rulers, toothbrushes, electronics, shirts and blouses buttons, plastic pipes, buckets etc
EXAMPLES OF PRODUCTS MADE FROM METAL MATERIALS
Products made from metal materials are pipes, roofing sheets, cylinder, pots, spoons, containers, bolts and nuts etc
USES OF WOOD MATERIALS
- Wood materials are used for home construction. Domestic constructions made out of wood were popular many years ago and are still widely used.
- It is used for making fence and decorating gardens
- It is used for making utensils
- It is used for creating art
- It is used for making musical instruments
- It is used for making sports equipment and toys
STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES
The Teacher revises the previous week lesson.
The Teacher introduces the new topic.
The Teacher explains the note in details.
The Teacher gives room for pupils to ask questions.
The Teacher evaluates the pupils.
ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION
1 .Define materials
- Identify the materials used in technology
- List types of materials
- State what materials are used for
List and explain materials used for making products of technology.