MEANING OF SAFETY
Safety means keeping yourself and others free from harm or danger. That’s being careful not to fall, bump or run into things.
Table of Contents
MEANING OF ACCIDENT
Accidents are unplanned or unexpected events that happen to human beings. Accidents can happen everywhere, for example, in the schools, homes, roads and markets.
- Falling objects
- Electric Shock
CAUSES OF ACCIDENT
- Running or playing football on a slippery floor.
- A leaking gas cylinder.
- Children playing with matches.
- Use of naked light near a petrol container.
- Careless use of boiling rings.
- Leaving water taps open when there is no water.
In the school
- Slippery football field.
- Use of naked electric wire in laboratories and classrooms.
- Failure to keep the school premises clean and tidy.
OBJECTS THAT CAUSES ACCIDENT
- Broken bottles or plastic
- Broken chair or table
- Broken glass
- Naked wire
PREVENTION OF ACCIDENTS
- Do not allow children to run around on slippery floors.
- Help old people to climb and descend staircases.
- Children should not operate gas cylinders.
- Keep all medicines out of reach of children.
- Disconnect all electrical appliances when not in use.
- Always lock water taps when not in use.
In the school
- Do not play on waterlogged football field.
- Keep the school compound clean and tidy always.
- All electrical connections in the laboratory should be done under the supervision of the science teacher.
- Fire extinguishers
- Hand gloves
- Eye shield or goggles
- Caution signs
- Seat belts
- Road signs -zebra crossing
- Face masks,
- Dust masks
- Hearing protection
Strategies & Activities
Step: Teacher revises the previous topic
Step 2: Teacher introduces the new topic.
Step3: Teacher endeavors to explain all the points to the pupils thoroughly.
Step 4: Teacher welcomes pupils’ questions.
Step 5: Teacher evaluates the pupils.
Assessment & Evaluation
- Define safety and accident.
- List at least three objects (each) that causes accident at home and in the school.
- State three (3) causes of accident (each) at home and in the school.
- List at least four (4) safety devices.