This service is provided in another location, where the area is not primarily designed for the purpose. The food and drink is taken to where the customer is.
Types of specialized service
- Tray Service: Service of whole or part of a meal on tray to customers. E.g. on the hospital bed, inside train, aircraft seats, etc.
- Trolley Service: Service of food and beverages from a trolley away from the dining areas e.g. for office workers at their desk, for customers at aircraft seat or at train seats.
- Home Delivery Service: Here food is delivered to customer’s home or place of work e.g. meals on wheel, pizza home delivery or sandwiches to offices.
- Lounge Service: Service of variety of foods and beverages in lounge area, e .g. hotel lounge, airport lounge, etc.
- Room Service: Service of variety of food and beverages in guest bedrooms or in meeting rooms.
- Drive-in Service: Customers park their motor vehicles and are served at their vehicles.
- What are specialized services?
- Explain the following: a. Trolley Service b. Home Delivery Service c. Tray Service
Banquet service is an elaborate and ceremonious service of meals for large number of people. It covers conferences, wedding receptions, luncheon and dinner parties. A full time banqueting brigade of waiters is employed to handle the service of foods and drinks.
Banqueting services are of two types:
- Buffet where guests serve themselves and sit at tables pre-set with cutlery, glasses, etc.
- Sit-down style where guests are served by waiters.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- What is vending machine all about?
- Mention two advantages and two disadvantages of vending.
- What is in- situ service?
- Explain what you understand by banquet service.
- State four reasons for cooking food.
- ____ is service of food and beverage from a trolley away from the dining areas e.g for office workers at their desk. A. Trolley Service B. Home delivery C. Room Service D. Lounge Service
- In ____ service, customers park their motor vehicles and are served at their vehicles. A. drive-in B. tray C. lounge D. trolley
- Which of these services require special service machine? A. Buffet B. Vending C. Free flow
- All of the above
- What type of service is most suitable for a large number of people in an occasion? A. Room
service B. Vending service C. Banquet service D. Gueridon service
- ____ is a type of service where ordered meals are delivered to customers at their door steps. A. Lounge service House service C. Personalized service D. Home service
- Define specialized service?
- List and explain three types of specialized service.