MEANING OF ADOLESCENCE
Adolescence is the period in every person’s life that lies between the end of childhood and the beginning of adulthood. It is a period of time a person matures and moves from childhood to adulthood. This is a period of life when you prepare to be an adult
Table of Contents
An adolescent boy or girl is someone that is passing through the adolescent period.
CHARACTERISTICS THAT ARE COMMON TO BOTH ADOLESCENT BOYS AND GIRLS
Adolescent boys and girls generally;
- Try to gain independence from their parents
- Feel hungry easily, they are growing fast, they therefore need extra food
- They become self-conscious, they may be bothered about their appearance
- Have emotional changes. They can be anxious, moody or irritable
- Could show concern about the future
SPECIAL NEEDS AND CHALLENGES OF ADOLESCENT
These challenges are the problems which the adolescent often face. The adolescent are neither children nor adults. They often have problems as they relate with people. Their challenges include;
- ADJUSTMENT: They have problem adjusting to their physical changes for instance, the girls have to cope with enlarged breast and menstruation, the boy copes with changed voice and bigger penis. They are often uncomfortable, clumsy and anxious.
- STATUS: They want to behave like adults, yet they are not fully adults. Boys may try to smoke and girls may try putting on make- ups
- INDEPENDENCE: Adolescents often want to do things their own way. They do not like to be directed or guided by parents or other adults. This is often a source of problem
- NEED FOR ACHIEVEMENT: Adolescents want to excel, when they fail, they become unhappy
- PEER PRESSURE: They often want to go along with their peers. There could be negative influences from peer group, for instance, in dressing, feeling and expression of sexuality
- PHYSICAL NEEDS: These arises as a result of the physical changes going on in adolescent. These needs include:
Balanced food needed for proper development..
New clothes to replace outgrown old ones.
Girls will need brassiere as their breasts develop.
- NEEDS FOR PARENTAL UNDERSTANDING AND SUPPORT:
- Understand what their adolescent children are passing through
- Be more tolerant
- Communicate freely, advice and encourage adolescents.
Sexuality information is a planned process of education that faster the acquisition and information of positive attitudes, beliefs and values as well as skills to cope with biological, physiological, socio-cultural and spiritual aspects of human sexuality.
SOURCES OF SEXUALITY INFORMATION
- School and colleges
- Churches and mosques
- Newspapers and magazines
- Parents, elders and the community.
- State 4 characteristics common among adolescent boys and girls
- State the challenges of adolescence
Enumerate ways of expressing sexuality among adolescents