Hygiene means one’s level of cleanliness. It is the practice of keeping yourself and other surroundings clean, especially in order to prevent illness or the spread of diseases.
Table of Contents
MEANING OF PUBERTY
Puberty is the short span of time that marks the beginning of sexual maturation. This period differs between boys and girls. Boys generally reach puberty at about the age of 14 years. Girls reach it at about 12 years of age. There are individual differences Therefore, these periods cannot be the same for everyone and for everybody.
SIGNS OF PUBERTY IN BOYS
- Hair begin to grow on different parts of the body such as the armpit, pubic region,
- Beard around the jaw and a moustache above the upper lip.
- Voice breaks and becomes deeper.
- There is change in general body appearance as muscles develop. The boy may need Larger and new clothes.
- Sex organs develop. Sex glands called testicles produce spermatozoa or sperm.
SIGNS OF PUBERTY IN GIRLS
- The breasts develop.
- The body changes.
- Hair grows on her armpits and pubic region.
- Menstruation begins.
- There could be skin changes and problem such as pimples.
This is the monthly flow of blood from the womb, through the vagina and this occurs in every woman of child bearing age. This period is called menstrual period. It takes place after about every 25-30 days. This time, (the numbers of days before the next period) is called menstrual cycle. The menstrual period and cycle differ from one person to another.
As soon as a girl starts menstruating, she becomes a woman. She can then become pregnant and have a baby if she has sexual relationship with a man. The blood that flows during menstruation can produce a very bad odour if a person fails to keep her body clean. It is therefore very important to keep your body very clean during menstruation. This is called menstrual hygiene.
IMPORTANCE OF PERSONAL HYGIENE
- It helps people to cope with some physical conditions such as oily skin and hair
- It helps to remove body odour
- It results in better health
- It give attractive appearance
- It gives an individual the confidence needed to be in the company of mates.
Body odour is an unpleasant smell that comes from the body
Causes of body odour
- Poor hygiene during menstruation
- Accumulation of dirt on the body
- Failure to have bath regularly
- Using of body care products that smells badly
- Wearing dirty clothes and under wears.
PREVENTION OF BODY ODOUR
- Bathing regularly especially during the menstrual period and after exercises.
- Observing good menstrual hygiene practices
- Wearing clean clothes
- Changing your underwear everyday
- Using good perfumes and deodorants sparingly. Avoid heavy perfume.
- What do you understand by menstrual cycle
- Mention ways of preventing body odour
Make a survey and mention 10 types of sanitary towels in the market