Conflicts resolution is a process that occurs in five stages:
Table of Contents
- Becoming aware of the conflict or problem
- Setting limits
- Arguing stage
- Negotiating and compromise
- Following up.
SOME IMPORTANT GUIDELINES IN CONFLICT RESOLUTION
- Use words not fits
- Take a decision to resolve the conflict peacefully
- Try to talk in place other people will not distract you or interfere with your efforts.
- When you talk, take turns. No one person should dominate the talking, every person must be given the chance to talk
- Use active listening and keep an open mind
- Show respect to the other person and recur respect from him/her.
- Control your voice, tongue and speak the truth.
WAYS OF MANAGING FAMILY CRISIS
Arrival of a new baby
- The family should plan and prepare properly before each new baby
- The father and other older children should be involved in some aspects of child care.
Clashes of personality
- Family should set family values, lifestyles, goals and standards.
- Where individuals have different value systems, the other members should know that, family must agree on how to accommodate such values.
- Family rules should be acceptable to all members.
Loss of job/employment
- Family goals will need to be reviewed.
- Alternative employment must be sought
- Family members may have to take on new responsibilities.
- The family members need to find ways of adjusting wherever they find themselves.
- Parents need to agree on how to help the children
- Children should be allowed to communicate with parents
- Counselling can help.
Death of family members
- Each family members should take responsibility for the things he/she can do
- Family should spend more time together and encourage each other.
- The family may have to change or modify some of the family goals.
- State the consequences of family conflicts
- Explain ways of how family can manage various crisis
- mention five signs of puberty in girls.
- What do you understand by the term “early maturer”?