Energy for working.
Energy is a key factor in national development. For instance, electrical energy is needed to do a lot of things. Poor management of the energy resources in a nation might cause it to remain in a state of underdevelopment.
Table of Contents
The three main societal needs of energy are mechanical work, heat supply and heat removal (cooling system)
Energy from hydroelectricity for electric supply
In generating hydroelectricity, the kinetic energy of falling water from the top of a dam causes the turbines to turn. This in turn drives the generators leading to the production of electrical energy
Uses of solar energy
Solar energy can be used for the following.
- Drying clothes
- Warm water
- Dry farm products
- Generate electrical energy.
- What is solar energy?
- State three things you know you can do with solar energy.
- The heat from the sun reaches the sun by (a) conduction (b) radiation (c) convection (d) reflection.
- Which of the following is not an artificial source of energy (a) batteries (b) kerosene (c) generator (d) food?
- Which of these is a key factor to society’s development (a) energy (b) rain (c) sea (d) network
- The following are natural sources of energy except ….. (a) battery (b) sun (c) wind (d) food
- The energy source that powers the windmill to produce electricity …… (a) battery (b) sun (c) wind (d) food.
- Explain the energy conversion that takes place in hydroelectricity.
- Mention three types of societal needs.