|The internet is a collection of interconnected computer network around the world that provides a wealth of information on nearly any topic you can imagine. The world Wide Web, often simply called the web, is a subsystem of the internet.
DEFINITION OF INTERNET
The internet is a worldwide network of computers that share information. Information sharing and communication are the primary purpose for the internet.
SOME BASIC TERMS
1. Browse: Term to describe a user’s movement across the web, moving from page to page via hyperlinks, using web browser.
2. Browsers: An interface that enables you to manage information on the web. The browser speaks to the server to which you are connecting, grabs the web pages you want, and displays the files within the browser interface. Using the browser you can access a variety of websites
3. Chat room: a chat room is a web site, or part of an online service such as America online, that provides a venue for communities of users with a common interest to communicate in real time..
4. Cyber café: An internet café or cyber café is a place which provides internet access to the public, usually for a fee. These businesses charge at a time based rate.
5. Cyber space: it is the electronic medium of computer networks, in which online communication takes place.
6. Download: To transfer a file from a remote computer to a local computer. In web terms: to transfer a file from a web to server to web client.
7. Email (Electronic mail): Messages sent from one person to another via internet.
8. Homepage: The top-level (main) page of a web site. The default page displayed when you visit a website
9. HTML (Hypertext Markup Language): HTML is the language of the web. HTML is a set of tags that are used to define the content, layout and the formatting of the web document.
10. HTTP (Hypertext transfer Protocol): The standard set of rules for sending text files across the internet. It requires an HTTP client program at one end, and HTTP server program at the other end.
11. ISP (Internet Service Provider): Someone that provides access to the internet and web hosting.
12. Intranet: A private (close) internet, running inside a LAN(Local Area Network)
13. Protocol: Rules that dictate how you get information from the internet.
14. Webpage: A document designed to be distributed over the web
15. Website: A collection of related webpages belonging to a company or an individual
16. Web browser: A software program used to display web pages.
|® Give definition for internet and its uses to the society
Student are allowed to give corrections to the assessment given by the teacher ,while the teacher support s them in order to guide them