A farm record is a document (in most cases a book) that is used to keep account of different activities, events, materials etc. regarding the farm operations. Most Nigerian and African farmers don’t keep farm records and accounts, so they have poor farm management. Mainly, it is influenced by the fact that most of the farmers in Nigeria are illiterates and can hardly read or write.
Table of Contents
TYPES OF FARM RECORDS
There are different types of farm records a farmer should keep to run a successful farm business. They include:
- Daily farm records
- Records of farm implements and equipment
- Record of agricultural inputs
- Records of livestock and livestock products
- Records of animal feeds
- Production records
- Records for farm use
- Farm expenditure records
- Workers records
- Vehicle records
- Sales record
REASONS WHY FARMER KEEP FARM RECORDS
- Farm records help a farmer to keep stock and manage each aspect of the farm properly.
- They are important for planning and budgeting. They provides a farmer with enough information needed for proper planning and budgeting at every point in time.
- They help farmers know the progress and contributions of each aspect of the farm to its overall success.
- They are important for proper farm management.
- They can be very helpful when a farmer needs to access financial aids from banks or other financial institutions.
STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES
Step 1: Teacher revises the previous topic
Step2: Teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3: Teacher explains the new topic
Step4: Teacher welcomes pupils questions
Step45 Teacher evaluates the pupils
- Explain farm records.
- List 5 types of farm records.
- State 4 importance of farm records.