Farm tools are simple handy tools constructed by the farmer or local crafts men to carry out some basic farming operations. Farmers who grow crops and keep animals usually use some simple tools to help make their work easier and faster.
Table of Contents
EXAMPLES OF FARM TOOLS
|1.||Cutlass||2.||Hoe||3.||Bolt and nut||4.||Shovel||5.||Garden fork|
|6.||Hand fork||7.||Axe||8.||Screw driver||9.||Digger||10.||Head pan|
|11.||Spanner||12.||Mallet||13.||Budding knife||14.||Plier||15.||Harvesting knife|
|21.||Mattock||22.||Hammer||23.||Watering can||24.||Chisel||25.||Pruning saw|
|26.||Secateurs||27.||Rake||28.||Hand trowel||29.||Spade||30.||Manure drag|
PRACTICAL/PROJECT: GET A DRAWING BOOK TO DRAW ALL 30 OF THE HIGHLIGHTED FARM TOOLS, WRITE A SHORT NOTE TO DESCRIBE THEM, STATE WAY(S) OF MAINTAINING THEM AND STATE THEIR USE(S).
DESCRIPTION AND FUNCTIONS OF SOME SELECTED TOOLS
- Cutlass: This is a short metal blade tool some with curve end and a wooden or handle made of rubber. The cutlass is commonly used for land clearing, planting, weeding, and for cutting small trunks and pegs.
- Spade & Shovel: this has a long wooden handle ending with flat metal blade that is sharp at one end and the other D-shaped to allow for proper handling. It is used for digging the soil, spreading manure, turning and mixing the soil. Shovel blade is folded to give a scoop shape.
- Garden Fork: this tool has four prongs or teeth made of hard metal that tapers to a point. The hard metal is about 20cm long, mounted on a long wooden handle of about 70-80cm in length. It is used mainly for digging, loosening, breaking the soil.
- Secateurs: is a scissors like shaped tool consisting of two short metal blades one with a concave curve and the other with a convex curve joined at a pivot with bolt and nut. It possesses two metal short wooden or metal handles with a spring in between. Mainly used for preparing stem cutting and pruning small branches of hard wooded plants for watering crops especially seedlings and flowers.
- Emasculator: this consists of a pair of powerful pincers with plastic or metal handles. It is use to castrate male animals by rushing their spermatid cord
GENERAL MAINTENANCE OF FARM TOOLS
Farm tools are made of metal or wood which are strong, these tools still need very good care so that they are always suitable for use in farming. The following are ways to ensure that they are used optimally:
- Keep in a store free of termites (for tools with wooden parts).
- Oil or grease metal parts
- If it is to be stored for long, paint metal parts
- Sharpen blunt edges regularly to get optimum result.
- Clean or wash after each use.
- Keep nozzles free from blockage.
- List seven types of farm tools used for post planting activities.
- How can we maintain simple farm tools?
- Which of these farm tools is used for weeding?A. Cutlass B. Watering can C. Rake
- Which of these farm tools is used for digging, loosening andbreaking the soil?
- Secateurs B. Hand towel C. Garden fork
- Which of these farm tools is used for transplanting of seedling? A. Go-to-hell B. Shears C. Hand Towel
- Which of these farm tools is used for harvesting rice? A. Shears B. Sickle C. Ranging pole
- Rubbing farm tools with oil prevent ____. A.rustingB. raking C. wear and tear D. decay
- Describe four tools used in carrying out pre planting operations.
- Which farm tool is used for pruning and preparing stem cutting?