Water is one of the most abundant natural resources that covers about 80% of the Earth’s surface. It is very important because it is needed by every creature. The body system contains approximately 75% of water. Most of the food we take comprises water. It helps the flow of blood, prevents dehydration, regulates body temperature and helps in eliminating body waste. It is needed in agriculture, sports, industry, domestic affairs, recreation, transportation, researches and many other aspects of life. The formula for water is H2O i.e two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen.
Table of Contents
The two major sources of water
- Surface water supplies
- Ground water supplies
Surface Water Supplies: are abundant, easily accessible – they includes:
- Rain water
- River water
- Lakes, ponds and streams
Ground Water Supplies: Include the following
- Well: – there are two types of well
Qualities of Good Water Supply
- A good water must be odourless.
- It must be tasteless.
- It must be colourless.
- It must be free from pathogens.
- It must contain acceptable mineral composition.
- Mention the major sources of water.
- List the sources of water under each of them.
- State the qualities of water.
Uses of Water
- Water is used for drinking.
- It is used for bathing.
- Water is used for cooking.
- It is used for washing of clothes.
- It is used for cleaning and flushing of toilet.
- It is used as a means of transportation.
- It is used for transporting activities e.g. swimming, water polo etc.
- It is used for agricultural purposes.
- It is used for generation of electricity.
- It is used for industrial purposes.
Treatment of Water before Supply
- Undesirable taste and odour are removed from the water by aeration.
- Bacteria are destroyed by the addition of chlorine.
- The taste of chlorine is then removed with sodium sulphites.
- Excessive hardness of water, is reduced by the addition of slake.
- List five uses of water
- Mention the treatment of water before supply.
- Mention five qualities of good water supply
- Most of the food we take comprises ___________ life B. blood C. water D. good
- Water is needed in the following areas except __________ transportation B. ocean
- agriculture D. domestic affairs
- One of these is not a quality of a good water free from pathogens B. must be colourful
- must be tasteless D. must be odourless
- Which of the following is water used for? Drinking B. Bathing C. Cooking D. All of the above
- Rain water is under which sources of water supply? Surface water B. Ground water
- Middle water D. None of the above
- Mention the two types of well.
- List out eight uses of water.